Thread: Water level and quality concerns

Froggertly

Default Water level and quality concerns

Hi there!

I recently became the proud mom of two bullfrog (I'm assuming American) tadpoles, Froggert and Froggle. However they haven't developed at the same rate. Froggert is a full frog, whilst Froggle has developed his back legs, and is on his way.

I had to lower the water level for Froggerts sake, and I recently purchased a turtle dock so that Froggert could have more dry land whilst Froggle continues to develop. However this meant I couldn't really use my filter like I was when they were both tadpoles.

I've been testing the ammonia level, as I also have a 33 gallon fishtank, and find that the ammonia levels get quite high. Water changing tends to stress them both out. They're being kept in a 10 gal aquarium with stone substrate and a large piece of driftwood.

Tonight I raised the water level to get the filter going again, but this makes for a pretty much aquatic environment for Froggert.

So,

1. Because Froggle has his back legs, should I be concerned about the water level still being high enough for him to swim unabated until his front legs pop out?

2. Is it time to change the tank to more coconut detritus and mossy landscapes vs. stone? What is the most ideal substrate for bullfrogs?

3. Froggert doesn't eat well, and has eaten some mealworms, but crickets keep drowning before he notices them. What are some options for food until I can lower the water level?

I acquired these tadpoles from Pet Smart for free, without really the knowledge on how to care for them. I'm going to keep them, not release them as I don't know where they came from.

Any and all advice is appreciated! I know the frogs will for sure!
    thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Water level and quality concerns

1. Can you move Froggle to a separate tank or temporary enclosure so Frogerts tank can have a lower water level? Froggle won't really have a problem swimming even with legs.

2. Coco Fiber, ABG mix, or damp unprinted paper towels. No gravel or moss. Impaction risk.

3. Mealworms are fattening and their outer shells are hard to digest. Cut up, not dyed night crawlers are good foods. You can try taking him out to feed him?

Two full grown bullfrogs will require a 100 gallon+ tank. Just for future reference

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Froggertly

Default Re: Water level and quality concerns

Unfortunately other than the 33 gallon fish tank I'm low on enclosure resources. Scouring the online classifieds now for something, as all I have are a 1 gal tank with a betta in it, and two 3 liter tanks

I don't want to handle Froggert too much, as he's not comfortable with being handled. I tried to feed him frozen bloodworms but he runs away when he sees me coming. I will look for the night crawlers!

Froggertly

So! I've just gotten ahold of a 150 gallon tank, previously used for rats and reptiles, with stand etc. for the froggies. Now I need to figure out setup and layout. What is the best habitat for an American bullfrog? Moist? Wet? Damp? Humid? I am feeling very green now that I've decided to keep them, but I want to provide the best home for them! They didn't choose to live with me after all, they're just the unfortunate victims of a frog napping when Pet Smart received their feeder fish!

Randy

They like lots of water and yes it can be deep what i did was setup a 150 gallon tank with 70 gallons of water the rest land . i used 4 bricks to hold up a large piece of slate which covered 1/3 of the tank . the rest was water with a canister filter . on the slate i put gravel then potting soil . on the potting soil i put coco husk . i secured a lid the type that's a mesh screen . I had infrared lights and a full spectrum light for lighting and heat . i did not use a aquarium heater as they like colder water anyways .I would feed them crickets and feeder fish .they eat about any bug though .after a while i let mine go back into the wild .you can add plants in the soil area as well giving them the feeling of security and hiding places .

Froggertly

I like that you had a 150 gal tank because that's what I'm acquiring, gives me a better idea of what to do to keep them. Was the canister filter what you used to keep the water clean? I'm trying to figure out how to clean this new beastie of mine lol.

What kind of plants did you/would you keep? Regular potting soil is ok for these guys? Or was the coco husk used to keep them away from the soil? How did you clean this tank?

I'd love to release them, but I don't know where they came from. Could've come from southern Florida for all I know! Now they're home in Canada lol.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Froggertly View Post
    I like that you had a 150 gal tank because that's what I'm acquiring, gives me a better idea of what to do to keep them. Was the canister filter what you used to keep the water clean? I'm trying to figure out how to clean this new beastie of mine lol.

What kind of plants did you/would you keep? Regular potting soil is ok for these guys? Or was the coco husk used to keep them away from the soil? How did you clean this tank?

I'd love to release them, but I don't know where they came from. Could've come from southern Florida for all I know! Now they're home in Canada lol.
    The coco husk was just an added substrate for keeping some humidity in the tank , the canister filter kept the water pretty clean along with partial water changes . plants i kept were simple ones i got from kmarts back in the day . one was a Small palm , one was a venus fly trap lol . but leafy plants will do and you can add floating water plants to the water like hyacinth. Terrarium Plants | Understory Enterprises this is a good site to order plants but you can use plants bought at a store too . id stay away from flowers though .you can remove any fecies in the soil with a paper towel .My recommendation for a cannister filter is the Aquatop cf400uv , its relatively cheap and will handle the amount of water being filtered , you can also make a nice waterfall out of it .

Thread Information