Thread: Is Gilbert's behavior typical????

GilbertsMom

Default Is Gilbert's behavior typical????

Hello all! So I've always wanted a pacman frog and I finally got one about a week and a half ago! Of course the people at PetSmart knew next to nothing and what they did tell me was obvious that they just wanted to sound like they had a clue. I read a little on the internet and I think what Gilbert is doing is normal, but just want to be sure.
    First of all, I have no idea how old he is but I'm guessing he's a young adult. He's about 2 1/2" wide and maybe slightly longer. I feed him every other day, 2-4 crickets. Fresh water always and I spray the coconut fiber multiple times a day. At first we had a heat pad under the tank, by advisement of PetSmart, but 3 days ago switched to a red bulb light during the day. His humidity stays around 70%, temp 82F during the day and 70F at night.
    So 3 days ago when I switched him to a heat bulb I also put in fresh cocofiber. Once I finished I put him back in his tank and left him alone. A few hrs later I fed him and he looked like he was fine- just sitting around being fat and happy :-) Late that night, 3 days ago, he buried himself all the way down. I couldn't find him! So I lifted the tank and there was the white blob on the glass! I wasn't worried at first but it's been 3 days and he hasn't moved even an inch! Did I stress him out by upgrading his tank? Is he too hot, or too cold at night? Does it sound like I've done anything at all to cause this? I miss Gilbert and would love to see him, but don't want to dig him up just for my own pleasure! Should I leave him be and assume he is A-Okay? Any ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

thanks !!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello!! Welcome to the frogforum !

Crickets are not a bad food and they most likely didn't do anything bad, but just for future reference, nightcrawlers are the best staple food for pacmans. Cut to mouth size now, when reach three inches body length and large 4 inch and above frogs can handle the whole worm. Make sure the nightcrawlers are dye and chemical free. You can buy them at walmart. At a local bait shop, or online. Joshs frogs has them.

Is the water declorinated? The chlorine is very dangerous to the frogs. If the water for misting, soaking and for wetting the coco fiber has not been declorinated, you will unfortunately have to replace the substrate and use treated tap water. Most members use reptisafe or seachem prime.

Keep with the heat bulb, the frog can get burned with the pad. You can also put the pad on the side of tank.

The humidity should be just a touch higher than 70

Daytime temps are good, but nighttime temps should be 75-77.

Pacmans like to burrow-A LOT. And they are also nocturnal so he may actually be moving and you just dont know. The humidity may have something to do with it. Raise it to like 75-80.

Has he been eating? Have you been offering food? Pics would also be appreciated of both the frog and the enclosure

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is Gilbert's behavior typical????

Hi me again, sorry but can you answer these questions? It will help us to get a better understanding on the tank conditions. Please number and be specific and if you dont know an answer, say "i dont know" rather than leaving it blank. Thanks!!

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! Too many frog owners have been misled by pet shop personnel interested in selling whatever. Just want to add a link to our care guide: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

GilbertsMom

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Hi me again, sorry but can you answer these questions? It will help us to get a better understanding on the tank conditions. Please number and be specific and if you dont know an answer, say "i dont know" rather than leaving it blank. Thanks!!

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

Hi! Thanks for getting back with me- sorry it took a bit, I was in class.

1) 10 gal. Tank with metal mesh top
    2) only resident
    3) humidity 70-80%
    4) temp 82F day, 70F night
    5) dechlorinated water
    6) coconut fiber floor
    7) water dish for soaking, artificial plants wall to floor for hiding
    8) & 9) crickets- PetSmart advised they were sold with the vit. powder on them
    10) & 11) red bulb from 8am-8pm for heat, light is natural
    12) ate 3 days ago
    13) haven't seen poop since he went under 3 days ago
    14) pic coming soon
    15) no symptoms, just buried X3 days
    16) don't know age- he's approx 2 1/2" wide and long
    17) I've had him a little over a week
    18) store bought- PetSmart
    19) crickets
    20) has been handled one time only to move out/in tank. Never held for pleasure!
    21) very low traffic- in my bedroom, no children
    22) in a little over a week I've changed the coconut fiber once, water changed daily, scooping dirties when needed, misting multiple times a day.

I hope i answered all your questions and I'm working on the pic now :-)

Nationality
    [United States]

Again, the temp should be higher at night.

Oh, petsmart, always looking to rip people off . The crickets do not have any vitamins included. Use a calcium powder every other feeding and multivitamins once a week.

I would advise using a regular light bulb over the tank. Just to provide a proper photoperiod.

Best food is again, nightcrawlers

Sounds like either the temps, humidity, or just getting adjusted. Other, more knowledgeable members will hopefully chime in soon

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

GilbertsMom

Alrighty, thanks!! I'll work on adjusting those numbers and see if it helps. Also the food and vitamins.

Nationality
    [United States]

Young frogs sometimes have to be woken up. Just uncover his head before offering food and he should come out.

Before you change that red bulb to a daytime bulb we need to know if your frog is an albino? If so then stay with the red light.

GilbertsMom

Thanks so much for your reply! Poor Gilbert is still buried :-( I've been afraid to uncover him, incase he's doing this because of stress I didn't want to make it worse. I will gently uncover him ans offer food. No he's not an albino. I'm trying to post a pic of him but I'm using an iPhone and I don't think I can do it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Its pretty much the same on an iphone than on the computer. The tapatalk app also makes it easier to post pics

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Thread Information