Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi

GotCrabs

Default Hi

Hi, I'm pretty new to frogs, so have no real idea of what to do but am slowly learning, I got my Mum 2 Green Tree Frogs a little while back a long with a set up and have just recently in the last week noticed the behaviour of one of them becoming different and it's got me puzzled, the set up is a medium sized tank with 2 pieces of driftwood, some fake plants, some shagnum moss, large river pebbles and a water bowl, the bowl has distilled water in it and I spray them around 3/4 times a day with distilled water, each frog gets 1 or 2 crickets a day, lights are on for 8 hours each day, but the last week one frog has become real active, roaming all over his tank/enclosure, trying to dig into the shagnum moss, in and out of the water and climbing all over the place, just seems out of the blue to me that's all, he's mental, just hops all around the place all night and is real active, also the shagnum moss is damp so no dramas with moisture in the enclosure, is it something to be worried about, or is he just being a frog? the other frog is real relaxed, calm and sits around just taking it easy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hi

Welcome to Frog Forum

*May I suggest any pebble that could possibly fit into the frog's mouth be removed

*The frog's soaking dish MUST have de-clorinated tap water- as the distilled water has no minerals and will eventually cause health problems for the frog.

(purchase any amphibian safe water de-chlorinator ie Aquatize made by exo-terra)
    -They should NOT be sprayed directly with distilled water--- use the distilled to keep the humidity level in-check but don't' spray the frogs.

*Remove the sphagnum moss as this is a very, very common cause of intestinal obstruction.

-The roaming activity is sometimes due to stress ?

-The digging may be because the enclosure is NOT humid enough ( spray the walls of the enclosure down with the distilled water ( but not the frogs)

*change the soaking dish water asap
    * remove intestinal obstruction risks - pebbles and sphagnum moss

You may want to bowl feed them---so you don't have crickets roaming in the enclosure , hiding and rotting in the substrate:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...eder-bowl.html

Are you dusting the crickets with Calcium Vit D ?
    Are you using a vitamin supplement ?
    brands: RepCal or Repashy

What species of "green frog" do you have?

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

GotCrabs

Thanks Lynn for the reply, appreciate it.

So, take out the pebbles, they are largish and can't see them going into the mouth of the two frogs, also distilled water is a no no? I have been told to use it, so I use normal tap water that has had tap water conditioner added to it like a fish tank? Shagnum moss out? Everything I have in the tank I've been suggested to put in, I'm kinda puzzled.

So I can use tap water that has been treated with a water conditioner?
    I should remove all pebbles/rocks from the enclosure?
    I should remove the shagnum moss as well?
    I don't dust the crickets, I feed each frog 1 or 2 each day, if there are crickets roaming the enclosure I don't put new ones in.

Can you suggest how to lay out the enclosure please? I don't want to stress or kill the frogs, plus Mum would be upset too as she adores them.

Ummm, Green Tree Frog is all I know them to be, they were bought from the local fish store, I bought one to begin with and saw another one day which I thought wasn't being cared for properly so bought him as well, plus to keep the other company too.

GotCrabs

Should I look at using coconut fibre?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hi

Hello!! Welcome to the frog forum !!

The frogs can eat the pebbles. They will find a way.

Distilled water is pure water. It has no minerals-which your frogs need. Treated tap water is what you should be using. You can use distilled for misting only.

Bowl feeding ensures that the frogs are eating and getting the same amount of food

They can also eat spaghnum moss. And they can't digest it which is dangerous

You should be using calcium and vitamins. Calcium every other feeding and vitamins once a week. Not on the same day.

Can you post a pic of the frogs?

Coco fiber is perfect for non planted enclosures. Damp but not soaking. If you ever decide on live plants, ABG mix or something similar should be used.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

GotCrabs

OK, I'll grab some coconut fibre tomorrow then and put it in and I'll just use tap water and treat it with the same conditioner I use for my fish tank water, API's Tap Water Conditioner.

Thanks Eli, cheers.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF ! I'm going to guess since you are Down Under these are your green frogs: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea. Take some time and read that article, it has very good information. Sorry what we state here disagrees with your other source, it happens .

OK, once you get your shredded coco fiber (EcoEarth or Plantation Soil) you want to hydrate with dechlorinated tap. Any plain aquarium conditioner (no aloe) should do; we just prefer either one Lynn mentioned or Seachem Prime. Substrate should clump in fist without dripping water out.

Crickets should be sized same as distance between frog's eyes and gut loaded with carrots, lettuce, and cherios cereal 24-48 hours prior to feeding frogs. Any uneaten crickets should be removed couple hours after feeding or next morning for nocturnal frogs. Need to dust food as mentioned, more information in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. The small glass bowl for feeding mentioned before is a great idea; crickets can't jump out and the supplement stays longer on them.

What is your enclosure size? Can you post pics of it? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hi

Were your frogs wild caught or captive bred? Is there no pet store that sells coco fiber near you? Can you not order it online? And please do post a pic of both the frogs and the enclosure

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

GotCrabs

I bought the frogs from a fish store, so captive bred, I THINK, I can't find the stuff mentioned above locally or online, I'll keep looking though.

The 2nd frog I bought because I saw him in a pet store and he didn't look too happy and looked after so I thought I'd do the right thing by it and bought him for $30 and took it to Mum's and put him in with the other frog, both White's GTF, so give the 2nd frog a better life and also company for each other.

GotCrabs

Oh and when I said I had pebbles, I mean polished river pebbles, like largish stone.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry, i'm confused. Are they white's tree frogs or American greens? Or is one a white's and the other an American green?

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hi

The moss mat should be ok. Just inspect it when you get it to make sure there are no loops that the frogs feet might become stuck in.

Thought popped into my head. You can use damp unprinted paper towels pretty much indefinitely as long as you change them frequently.

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

GotCrabs

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Sorry, i'm confused. Are they white's tree frogs or American greens? Or is one a white's and the other an American green?

As far as I know, both are Whites, I'll grab a pic in a tick and put it up.

GotCrabs

Heres both frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yup, those are definitely White's Tree Frogs, also known as Dumpy Tree Frogs
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

GotCrabs

Are they looking healthy from just looking at those pics?

OK, finished the enclosure clean out, took everything out, bought a Moss Mat at the local, the only one they had, Exo Terra, cut it to size, cleaned everything, put the moss mat in, put the background in, put the driftwood in, water bowl with treated tap water from the water I use for my fish tank water changes, given it all a good spray and see how we go, no pebbles or stones, no shagnum moss, no distilled water, see how it goes.

GotCrabs

Question, I was told not to feed frogs meal worms as they can eat the frog from inside, or is this just ****?

GotCrabs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information