Thread: Bearded Dragon or Leopard Gecko: Comparing the Ownership Costs

findiviglio

Default Bearded Dragon or Leopard Gecko: Comparing the Ownership Costs

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 years with the Bronx Zoo.Both Bearded Dragons and Leopard Geckos are about as close to “perfect” as a reptile pet can be, and either is a great choice for new and experienced owners alike. But the costs of ownership, both short and long term, do vary between the two. Novice reptile enthusiasts sometimes obtain their first specimens without fully investigating this point, and may be surprised (or delighted!) at the expenses involved in their care – especially as each can reach 20 or even 30+ plus years of age! In the following article I’ll compare the start-up and long-term costs of owning Bearded Dragons and Leopard Geckos. Read the rest of this article here Bearded Dragon or Leopard Gecko? Compare Ownership Cost
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Monza geckos

Default Re: Bearded Dragon or Leopard Gecko: Comparing the Ownership Costs

This is just my opinion, but I think it really depends on a lot of things mainly to do with the owner and not just the animal. For instance the owner may leave a heat bulb on overnight with a leopard gecko while they may not with a beardie. It's also to do with their choice of diet as beardies are omnivorous and can be cheap if they are fed on some insects pinkies and salad, while a leopard gecko may be fed just insects and an occasional pinky the leopard gecko would cost more. and then there is set-up size and price. So with all these factors I think it depends on the person and the care they provide themselves. also love your work findiviglio.

findiviglio

Default Re: Bearded Dragon or Leopard Gecko: Comparing the Ownership Costs

Quote Originally Posted by Monza geckos View Post
    This is just my opinion, but I think it really depends on a lot of things mainly to do with the owner and not just the animal. For instance the owner may leave a heat bulb on overnight with a leopard gecko while they may not with a beardie. It's also to do with their choice of diet as beardies are omnivorous and can be cheap if they are fed on some insects pinkies and salad, while a leopard gecko may be fed just insects and an occasional pinky the leopard gecko would cost more. and then there is set-up size and price. So with all these factors I think it depends on the person and the care they provide themselves. also love your work findiviglio.
    Thanks for your thoughts and the kind words, Frank

Thread Information