Thread: How best to keep the food.

ForeverFamous91

Default How best to keep the food.

Hi all!

I've always wondered about keeping the live food, crickets and grasshoppers etc.

Now this is something that I have asked my local pet store, but it seems that Pets at Home employ people who don't always know what they're talking about. When I comes to frogs etc, the staff don't really have an answer for me, and when I even go to buy the food, when it comes to them scanning it through the till, they're trying there best not to touch the container! :L

Anyway, I had bought one of the exo terra cricket pens, but I find that anything I put in there dies right away basically. So I've just been keeping them in the little containers I buy them in. I was also wondering about feeding them as well? I bought some water gel stuff that was recommended when I bought the pen, and I also put small bits of fruit in there too. Is that sufficient?

Name:  exxo .jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  6.4 KB This is the pen thing that I bought.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: How best to keep the food.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFamous91 View Post
    Hi all!

I've always wondered about keeping the live food, crickets and grasshoppers etc.

Now this is something that I have asked my local pet store, but it seems that Pets at Home employ people who don't always know what they're talking about. When I comes to frogs etc, the staff don't really have an answer for me, and when I even go to buy the food, when it comes to them scanning it through the till, they're trying there best not to touch the container! :L

Anyway, I had bought one of the exo terra cricket pens, but I find that anything I put in there dies right away basically. So I've just been keeping them in the little containers I buy them in. I was also wondering about feeding them as well? I bought some water gel stuff that was recommended when I bought the pen, and I also put small bits of fruit in there too. Is that sufficient?

Name:  exxo .jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  6.4 KB This is the pen thing that I bought.
    Hey! I find that my crickets required quite a bit of space to not die or get eaten alive...

Ive been feedind them raw potatoes. Its a great spurce of water and nutrition but i find my crickets are getting too big.. faster than i can feed them to my lil guy..

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I keep mine in a large critter keeper with egg carton material. Feed them romaine lettuce, carrots, and cherios cereal changed daily .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I was cheap and made my own keeper: a large tupperware box with mesh glued over a hole in the top. I usually put in nutritious vegetables that will keep a few days, carrots, raw sweet potatoes, squash. I had lettuce, but found it attracted fruit flies and wilted quickly. Same thing with cabbage and broccoli. The raw vegetables provide some water, but I like to use water crystals as well.

Egg carton is good if it's crowded in there.

If I only have a few crickets I put them in a clear plastic cup with a lid, the kind with an x-shaped hole in the top for a straw. I used a styrofoam carton instead of a paper one once, but it looked like the cricket was eating the styrofoam.

I've had the problem with feeder crickets getting too big, but I just moved those off into a separate bin with sand at the bottom. Hopefully they'll start laying eggs when the weather warms up.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I do pretty much the same as Carlos, just with a big variety of foods. Any fresh fruits and veggies should be changed daily to prevent things from getting yucky.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thread Information