Thread: Got my red eye! question!

Default Got my red eye! question!

i finally got my red eye tree frog!

Question, why do red eyes open their mouth wide? do they yawn? they are nocturnal so i was thinking it was yawning cause its day time. Shes not doing it anymore but she did it when she first woke up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Got my red eye! question!

Was it shedding? I have only seen them opening their mouths while shedding.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Was it shedding? I have only seen them opening their mouths while shedding.
    I found a video that showed a red eye shedding, it was doing exactly that, so i think so! she was also rubbing her hands against het body. Now she has fallen back to sleep. She is amazing!!! So hard not to hold her but i want her to get used to her surroundings, plus she is asleep so i wouldnt want to wake her up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yup, she was probably shedding. Also, you should NEVER hold your frog. Their skin is very delicate, and you would be causing much unneeded stress. The only time a frog should be handled is if moving from one tank to another, or if placing in isolation, and that is typically only done by gently placing the frog in a small container, instead of grabbing directly.

Congratulations on the frog too, I know it can be super exciting
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [United States]

http://youtu.be/N8ZPS_8ZgDc

Here you go . Yep, your frog was shedding.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Quote Originally Posted by jarteta97 View Post
    Yup, she was probably shedding. Also, you should NEVER hold your frog. Their skin is very delicate, and you would be causing much unneeded stress. The only time a frog should be handled is if moving from one tank to another, or if placing in isolation, and that is typically only done by gently placing the frog in a small container, instead of grabbing directly.

Congratulations on the frog too, I know it can be super exciting
    Never hold your frog? really? ever? i wasnt really holding her, just let her crawl on me, she seemed quite okay with it. I imagine if she were stressed shed have been jumping away and trying to escape? I had washed my hands, and thoroughly rinsed, before allowing her onto my hand. I dont use cologne or any scents because i have many sensitive pets. I think my Red Eye, whom ive named Frenchy, thought i was a tree. Though i only did it for a minute or two, nothing excessive. Put her right back.

Can adults eat pinheads? im not sure if she cant see them, or just wasnt hungry, or is just too focused on her new surroundings.

Nationality
    [United States]

Some frogs, like white's tree frogs, american toads and bullfrogs, can tolerate MINIMAL handling. Red eyes are not one of those frogs.

Adult usually dont pay attention to pinheads. Too small

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Red-eyed tree frogs Hector and Serena shedding - YouTube

Here you go . Yep, your frog was shedding.
    That was actually the first video id seen and what made me realise red eyes can actually be pets! its really cool. After i made this thread, id watched it again, as well as other shedding videos, and realised, yup, thats what she was doing. Even later on, i saw her using her back leg against her side and saw that shed skin, looks like glue! im surprised the very day i got her she was already shedding lol. She went in the water bowl, came out, and traveled to the heating pad, which is where she started doing those movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Some frogs, like white's tree frogs, american toads and bullfrogs, can tolerate MINIMAL handling. Red eyes are not one of those frogs.

Adult usually dont pay attention to pinheads. Too small
    Maybe this female had been handled a lot by her breeder, i dont know. Im quite in tune with how animals are feeling. She seemed very fine with it. Either way ill take your word for it and will be sure not to do it unless nessecary.

Oh okay ill run out and get some bigger ones for while im waiting for these pinheads to grow. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Even if they don't seem to mind it, it is still dangerous. Their skin is EXTREMELY sensitive. Greys should not be handled either, unless necessary, but it is far worse for red eyes.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Also, the frog may seem calm and unperturbed, but this often means that they are frozen with terror.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Even if they don't seem to mind it, it is still dangerous. Their skin is EXTREMELY sensitive. Greys should not be handled either, unless necessary, but it is far worse for red eyes.
    I hold my gray every night. :/ just crawls and jumps from hand to hand. I wash my hands constantly and rinse them thoroughly and like i said i dont even use cologne or spray. Ive had my gray for about a month and a half now and have been handling regularly and the little one is healthier than ever. I really dont think its as detrimental as everyone thinks. The only reason i can imagine itd be detrimental is if you were sick, had lotion on your hands, had remains of soap on your hands, wore cologne or perfume or any type of spray, or didnt wash your hands before handling. I wash with antibacterial soap by the way.

Has anyone actually witnessed death caused by a handling?

Quote Originally Posted by jarteta97 View Post
    Also, the frog may seem calm and unperturbed, but this often means that they are frozen with terror.

She wasnt frozen, she was crawling up my arm and from hand to hand.

Nationality
    [United States]

Reds eyes are really sensitive and get sick much easier than whites or grays. I wouldn't handle them much. They stress easily. Stress causes a weaker immune system. Just a thought to keep in mind. It can be quite pricey to heal them and a tedious job. My reds are adoptees from a pet store which I took in sick to help them. Expensive and it took about 6 weeks to heal them. Just thought I'd share so you don't have to deal with that .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

16. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Reds eyes are really sensitive and get sick much easier than whites or grays. I wouldn't handle them much. They stress easily. Stress causes a weaker immune system. Just a thought to keep in mind. It can be quite pricey to heal them and a tedious job. My reds are adoptees from a pet store which I took in sick to help them. Expensive and it took about 6 weeks to heal them. Just thought I'd share so you don't have to deal with that .
    I just handled her that one night when i first got her and it was only for a minute or two. Last night i did it only to transport her to her feeding container, which was a last resort. I tried a few methods of feeding because shes not showing any interest. Is that normal when you first get them? i tried the feeding bowl method, where i put some crickets in a slippery glass bowl. I let some loose in her cage when that didnt work, they were walking right past her, quite a few times, and she didnt eat any. So i put some crickets in a separate containet and then put her in it, but she was only focused on escaping. So i put her back because she seemed stressed out by that. And i just left 9 in her cage. i didnt see her eat any, but maybe she has as i was sleeping, ill check to see if any are missing right now, while she is asleep. If this hesitation is not normal could you please give me some ideas that may help her eat? Three sides of her cage are covered with nature pictures, and ive even covered half of the free side, so shes not seeing me. Temp and humidity is exactly where it should be according to the two gauges ive got, ive got a couple different ones, both digital, theyre only one degree farenheit apart, if not exactly on the dot.

Nationality
    [United States]

She's probably just adjusting to her new tank.

Keep using the bowl method. She'll learn once she's settled down. It may take a couple days. It's the easiest way to keep track of when she's eating and it keeps the crickets from biting the frogs.

Try to minimize her stress. Keep her in a nice quiet room and keep it pitch black at night.

How are your temps and humidity numbers?

Does she have branches and plants to hide in/on?

She's probably just adjusting to her new tank.

Keep using the bowl method. She'll learn once she's settled down. It may take a couple days. It's the easiest way to keep track of when she's eating and it keeps the crickets from biting the frogs.

Try to minimize her stress. Keep her in a nice quiet room and keep it pitch black at night.

How are your temps and humidity numbers?

Does she have branches and plants to hide in/on?
    She seems to be more comfortable since last night. I stopped staring at her directly and started peeking from behind the "curtain". Only letting my eye through, she didn't seem to even spot me. She was doing a lot more. Still making those shedding movements, also pooped. I took it out later and checked it, no parasites or blood or anything abnormal so that's a good sign.

Yeah I'm doing the bowl-feeding method. She actually went into the cricket bowl to shed last night lol. Then pooped in it. Avoided the crickets though. I've got the 3 sides of her container permanently covered, and half of the free side covered with a blanket, as she adjusts.

Temperature is 78.6 and humidity is 73%. Perfect!

Yes 6 branches and a bunch of fake plants. She always just sleeps on the wall of the cage though lol. Makes sense that she feels safe there cause that's the side that's got the blanket which hides her.

I keep the lights on for 12 hours, and off for 12 hours.

Thread Information