Thread: Culturing Blaptica dubia: Diet? Temp?

Ganache Toe

Default Culturing Blaptica dubia: Diet? Temp?

Hi All,

My first shipment of Blaptica dubia will arrive soon. My question:

1) Is it logical to provide an unprocessed protein source to medium-sized dubias? Does it increase their health/ growth speed? (This would be in addition to a diet of carrots & oranges. .... I'm thinking I would provide protein via the occasional sardine... high in salt.... or the occasional piece of cooked chicken)
    I don't plan on feeding them to a frog just yet. Rather, I'm looking to grow the colony (I have a 100 medium dubia shipment on the way).
    Thanks!
    ~Ganache Toe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Culturing Blaptica dubia: Diet? Temp?

Might want to read this if thinking about feeding animal protein to Dubia: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...ould-know.html .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Temperature: Like herps, roaches can thermoregulate. If you provide vertically stacked egg flats, it creates the most surface area, allows frass/shed skins/dead bodies to accumulate on the bottom, and allows heat to rise from the bottom of the bin upwards. I use heat tape to heat my bins from the bottom, and the roaches can then choose to climb higher to cool down or stay at the bottom for warmth. I think their greatest reproduction is achieved in the 85-95 degree F range.

As Carlos said (and linked to) roaches do not need a high protein diet, this is a common myth that is perpetuated on the interwebs. Excess protein in the diet results in uric acid production, which can have detrimental effects on both the roach colony and on the animals that subsequently feed on them. Feed your roaches a good grain based gutload and offer a variety of fruits, veggies and greens to act as both a nutrient and moisture source. As long as they are warm, have space, have plenty of food, and are unstressed (leave them alone, preferably in darkness as much as possible) your colony will grow.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

Nationality
    [United States]

Very Good answers I agree a varied diet will supply all the protein needed. I produce a grain based roach food for my customers that is moderate protein level 12.5%. I have found that with my large colonies it prevents cannibalism and works to prevent uric acid toxemia problem.
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

Thread Information