Thread: Sick FBT. Update and a few questions

MegSeig

Default Sick FBT. Update and a few questions

The saga of Hestia is improving. (Background http://www.frogforum.net/fire-belly-...ot-eating.html)

Her eyes are considerably clearer, and her right side seems almost normal.

But...

Even though she started eating again (ate a cricket on Friday), she doesn't seem interested anymore. Right now she is in a little quarantine carrier. It is very small. She is only in this for the weekend because I didn't want to leave her in my classroom. I've given her some mealworms but she won't touch them. There was another good poop this morning, so if she was impacted I don't think she is anymore.

Her eyes don't really look cloudy anymore, but they have not returned to their normal color. They look black. One looks a little bulging , the other is closed a lot but not cloudy.

Should I be worried or is this all normal?

How long do I need to continue the melafix treatment.?

How long do I need to keep her separate from Pele?

At what point can I put substrate back in my tank?

Thanks.

edit: then I just reread my other thread where someone said meal worms were bad. How are mealworms more likely to impact than crickets? Crickets are bigger. Plus, the care sheet someone linked to listed mealworms. This is frustrating. I'm already really attached to my frogs. I want them to be ok.

So I have these super worms and mealworms that I don't need. What's a good way to dispose off them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick FBT. Update and a few questions

Unfortunately I cant answer anynof the medical questions. Although I would think if she is improving with the melafix treatments, then continue it for as long as possible, ie. Until she improves no further.

She may be off her food due the being moved to a new enclosure and being a little stressed. To my knowledge mealworms have much harder exoskeletons to crickets. A crickets body, especially when small enough for FBT'S actually has a very soft body.

Can you feed the superworms or mealworms to birds? I had a load of crickets in my last tub which were to big so I saved them and fed them to the chickens at work ...
    2.1.0 Oriental Firebelly Toads
    1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog
    4.2.0 Guinea Pigs
    1.1.0 Cats

MegSeig

Quote Originally Posted by Mushrooms View Post
    Unfortunately I cant answer anynof the medical questions. Although I would think if she is improving with the melafix treatments, then continue it for as long as possible, ie. Until she improves no further.

She may be off her food due the being moved to a new enclosure and being a little stressed. To my knowledge mealworms have much harder exoskeletons to crickets. A crickets body, especially when small enough for FBT'S actually has a very soft body.

Can you feed the superworms or mealworms to birds? I had a load of crickets in my last tub which were to big so I saved them and fed them to the chickens at work ...

Oh wow! I didn't even think of chickens. I have three. They'd love these worms.

MegSeig

So really, all I need to know now is how long to keep giving her the melafix water and how much longer to quarantine her. Also, why haven't her eyes gone back to normal color? They look black, not the usual goldish color. But she does not appear to be blind.

She was very perky today and climbing around.

Thread Information