Thread: Hi I am getting a pixie soon , what shall I do

Manny

Default Hi I am getting a pixie soon , what shall I do

Soon I will get a pixie and I have done my research but I would like to know your opinions on how to care , food ,bedding and so on

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

fenwoman

Default Re: Hi I am getting a pixie soon , what shall I do

if you have done your research you should know about things like that surely since those would be the basics.Name:  Winston.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  165.6 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by fenwoman View Post
    if you have done your research you should know about things like that surely since those would be the basics.Name:  Winston.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  165.6 KB
    I think he just wants to get a second opinion on everything. I have read many care sheets for many different types of frogs and the information isn't always the best on them...

Manny, i have not owned a pixie but from what i have read, night crawlers are the best staple. Do you plan to get a baby or an adult? They also like to burrow so you need a substrate that allows that. If you get a male you will need a large tank, but i think a 20 gallon will do for a female. Have you looked at our pixie frog care sheet? It helps! I will post a link

edit: here is that link! http://www.frogforum.net/content/afr...-breeding-118/

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

fenwoman

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    I think he just wants to get a second opinion on everything. I have read many care sheets for many different types of frogs and the information isn't always the best on them...
    The trouble is, if he has ready all the care sheets, and most seem to say more or less the same things regarding diet for instance, and is still wanting opinions and everyone will have a different opinion, he's going to be just as confused as before. It would have been simpler to ask specifics like for example, I have ready that I should feed X or Y, do other keepers feed these? Just reading up, and then still wanting opinions will leave him more confused than before.
    Before I got Winston, I ready up on the basics, thought about what was absolutely essential and how I could set things up to provide the essentials like water either with chemicals to 'condition it, or taken from my many fish tanks, space, suitable substrate, and diet . And Winston being a bullfrog means he'll eat just about anything which moves. In Summer he gets big fat juicy worms from my land because they are free and save me money, Lobster roaches which I breed for the other amphibs and reptiles and are free, large locusts which I have to pay for but which he enjoys hunting for and the occasional small mouse , which again I breed and cull for my other animals.They aren't complicated to keep I don't think, and the basics are covered and repeated on just about all the care sheets, so if he has done his research, he should at least have enough knowledge on the basics and simply asking for yet more info will muddy the water and make him even more confused.

Manny

I am planing to get a baby hopefully a boy I have looked at care sheets and I am not too sure on what to feed them if he is an adult boy pixie because some things said that insects won't feed them

Nationality
    [United States]

When he is an adult nightcrawlers should be enough. They are quite big those worms...

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Manny! The best food for a baby Pixie are mouth size pieces of not dyed night crawlers dusted as required: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html. You can cut NC's with scissors from pointy end and tong feed as many as frog will eat to satiation. As ABF grows past 1.5 in. you can increase worm piece size to equal the frogs length and most frogs over 3 in. will handle whole worms.

Other food for variety are gut loaded (lettuce, carrots, and cherios) crickets sized smaller than distance between frog's eyes and gut loaded 24-48 hours before feeding frog or similar sized Dubia recently molted nymphs. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Manny

Frogman1031 how big .
    Ok mentat is romaine lattice good for the feeders

Nationality
    [United States]

Don't matter how big are the earthworms; you will have to cut for babies/juveniles as explained for NCs; which are earthworms. Rinsed romaine lettuce is what myself use to feed crickets.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Manny

Ok is there a way of knowing what sex it is at a young age

Thread Information