Thread: Toad Fell

Unhappy Toad Fell

I was changing the water in my American Toads tank, I had put her for a little swim in her little swimming container, with de-chlorinated water. I was walking her back to her home when she jumped out of my hands and landed on her back. I'm a little worried about her. She's showing no signs of injury, and when I feel around her back bones it seems to be okay. Arms and legs check out, No limping or dragging extremities. She's bouncing around and climbing on stuff. She ate the "I'm SORRY!" cricket I gave to her. But I know anything can happen at any point. Anything to specifically keep an eye out for? Are toads pretty durable? I'm really worried now. Any input would be helpful. She fell about..3-4ft out of my hands. and made a hard smack onto the floor.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Xubby

Default Re: Toad Fell

I hate admitting it, but that's happened to me a few times as well. Once was a wild toadlet straight into pavement. :/

You mostly have to worry about broken limbs or cuts. These don't seem to be subtle, so I think you're probably in the clear. A little paranoia can't hurt, though, so keep her calm and well fed with their vitamins, but I bet you were doing that much anyway. Assuming there is a hairline crack or a hidden injury, this will help it heal without exacerbating the injury. For the record, all the toads I dropped were fine. If that means they're durable, or if I'm (they're?) just lucky, I'm not sure.

Oh, and curious. You didn't say what she landed on, carpet?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! From your post sounds like Toad got lucky this time . Read this article, will feel better afterwards: Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by Xubby View Post
    I hate admitting it, but that's happened to me a few times as well. Once was a wild toadlet straight into pavement. :/

You mostly have to worry about broken limbs or cuts. These don't seem to be subtle, so I think you're probably in the clear. A little paranoia can't hurt, though, so keep her calm and well fed with their vitamins, but I bet you were doing that much anyway. Assuming there is a hairline crack or a hidden injury, this will help it heal without exacerbating the injury. For the record, all the toads I dropped were fine. If that means they're durable, or if I'm (they're?) just lucky, I'm not sure.

Oh, and curious. You didn't say what she landed on, carpet?
    Okay, well so far she seems okay, still very alert, kept looking up at me when I'd come to check on her. She's been moving fine and her limbs seem pretty okay. Already fed her some calcium dusted Crickets. She's hanging around in her hidey-house right now. But I will keep an eye on her. I love my animals so I mostly feel bad, and worried.

And No. I wish it was carpet, then she would have had something a LEAST semi-squishy to land on. Plastic..Tiles? like tiles you'd find in schools, or doctor office. not stone or anything like that. She's a squirmy one. Just wish she hadn't jumped. But I'll keep an eye out! THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER! Lets hope every things okay. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello and welcome to FF! From your post sounds like Toad got lucky this time . Read this article, will feel better afterwards: Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates.
    Thanks! ^_^

6. This member thanks Sephiroxas for this post:

Update: Toad is doing very well, she seems to be very happy and hopping around. Thanks for the replies.

Name:  10628497_10154501837650344_1569061101330887121_n.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  66.7 KB

8. This member thanks Sephiroxas for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Ive dropped Banjo more times than I'd like to admit. It was on grass outside, and I was trying to talk to neighbors while holding her. Think that was the only time besides into her home onto dirt, but she kept squirming and hopping out of my hands, maybe three or four times, so three or four times too many til I wised up and brought her in. She was ok all times. There're pretty durable, but it still sucks to drop them. Glad yours was OK too. She's very pretty.
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

One of my Alvarius toads fell when around one year old, 11cms. She even felt unconscious for a few seconds since she hit the pole where the viv stands on with her head. And afterwards she had a numb front leg. But she recovered over a few weeks and is now adult, 20cms and all well. The arm is like new. A few sheddings seem to renew the toads everytime. So don't worry, seems we get these accidents to be shown to be more careful. And worrying never gets anyone anywhere for sure.
    <3

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Phew! Sounds like you lucked out.

It's the worst feeling ever! I've tried it too, especially when I didn't know that Duttaphrynus melanostictus' are better jumpers than Bufo bufos - my first little new guys jumped kamikaze straight out of my hand, from ca. 1.40 cms heights right down on the wooden floor. Normally I carry them in my palm, if I carry them, so my thumb and index is just in front of their shoulders and keep my other hand in front of them and generally move slowly and calmy, so it's both not too easy for them to jump and to prevent any startling by quick movements. But this small guy jumped right up into the air and landed stomach first x.s

Thank God nothing happened!

I think all you can do is wait it out and see how she's doing. Any alarming signs, take her to the vet.

Thread Information