Thread: My Firebelly Toads

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Talking My Firebelly Toads

Really should have posted this a few weeks back but here we go :P

Well, several weeks after the passing of my American Bullfrog Gnag about three and a half months ago, I decided to keep more frogs in Gnag's 33 Gallon tank, as although I love my Chorus frogs, Salamanders, and Bumpy, they tend to keep to themselves and don't interact with me the same way Gnag did. Also, it'd be a waste to keep such a large tank with all that equipment just lying around collecting dust. So, after doing some research, completely cleaning Gnag's tank and equipment, and consulting some of my friends, I decided to keep Firebelly Toads. I didn't want to take any more animals from the wild, but I did want to keep more frogs, especially a species that's semi-aquatic, very interesting to watch, fun to care for, and that is relatively easy to keep.

So, after completely refurnishing the 33 Gallon, I bought two Firebelly toads, and several weeks back, another one. And they've been amazingly fun to have I really see why people love them so much now. I've also decided to name them all Russian names, something one of my friends suggested after I named the first two. Here's some photos of their tank and a bit of info on the toads themselves.

Attachment 73360
    Dimitri is on the left, Sasha on the right corner, Aleksis on the Filter.

Now, onto the toads individually.

Attachment 73362
    Aleksis, with Sasha in the background on the feeding rock.
    Attachment 73361
    Aleksis Kaidanovsky
    Aleksis is one of the two original toads alongside Sasha. He's undoubtedly the dominant male of the bunch, and has a much bulkier, more muscular build than either Sasha or Dimitri. Like the other two, his coloration is completely different from either of the others. He's also a monstrous eater, easily the top eater of the group, and I often have to feed him separately from the others as he'll nip at them and push them off the feeding rock if they eat crickets beside him. However, when not devouring crickets or trying to mate with either of the others, he tends to be quite calm and will often cuddle up to Sasha and Dimitri (more so Sasha) at nighttime, especially in their clay cave on the moss. I constantly find him sitting on top of the clay cave or filter at daytime, as if he's watching over his territory and companions. Also, unlike Sasha and Dimitri, he cares little if I'm nearby and will often come to the glass and stare at me if I'm taking photos of them or doing something in my room, something that I find really cute. Aleksis is slightly over an inch and a half snout to vent. I named him after a character in the movie Pacific Rim, as well as Sasha.

Attachment 73363
    Sasha Kaidanovsky
    Sasha is one of the two original toads, alongside Aleksis. I'm very thankful I chose a multi gender name for Sasha because I'm not entirely sure what her gender is. She calls the same as Aleksis and Dimitri, but also makes a trilling when grasped by either. However, I'm not sure whether I saw this right or not but I may have seen Sasha grasp Aleksis before, which suggests she's a male. She has a much less bulky physique than either Aleksis or Dimitri, and is considerably larger. She has the brightest coloration out of the three, and she's also much more shy, and usually swims to a cover spot when I am near unless she's sitting beside Aleksis, as his presence seems to give her a sense of security. She's also a lot less aggressive than the other two, and doesn't tend to fight over crickets when Aleksis or Dimitri are at the feeding rock with her. However, she's nearly as voracious an eater as Aleksis, and is a very fast swimmer in comparison to either of the other two. She's definitely the cuddler of the bunch, as I often find her cuddling up to Aleksis and/or Dimitri at night in their clay cave or on the feeding rock. Sasha is about an inch and three quarters snout to vent, and is named after a character in Pacific Rim, like Aleksis.

Name:  DSCF3459.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  60.1 KBName:  DSCF3476.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  60.6 KB
    Dimitri Reznikov
    Dimitri is the newest of the trio, and recently joined the other two after several weeks in a 10 Gallon quarantine tank. He's also the smallest and I'm betting the youngest of the three. He's got a less muscular build than Aleksis but his build is much more similar to Aleksis' than Sasha's. Unlike those two, however, his coloration is brown with green spots on his nose, not a shade of green. He's somewhat shy, and will often swim to the other side of the tank if I come near. However, he's a very skilled toad. Unlike Sasha and Aleksis, whom only managed to climb the walls of the tank a couple of times, and then only could do so in the corners, Dimitri is capable of climbing outside the corners, both upwards and diagonally, and from nearly any spot in the tank. Due to this amazing ability, he's escaped once (although I found him immediately as I usually check up on the toads constantly when I'm at home) and forced me to tighten the tank lid to prevent him from escaping again. He's got a slightly less voracious appetite than Sasha (although all three of them eat like hogs) but will nip at either of the other two if they eat crickets at the feeding rock alongside him. With that said, he does often cuddle with Sasha and Aleksis at night and doesn't hesitate to sit with them on the feeding rock. Otherwise, though, he tends to keep his distance at times and spends most of the time in the water, unlike Sasha and Aleksis who tend to spend a bit more time on land than they do water. Dimitri is about an inch and a quarter snout to vent, and is named after the son of one of the main characters in the Netflix TV show Orange Is The New Black.

In the future, I may keep one or two more toads, as the 33 Gallon is easily large enough to accommodate them, but otherwise I think I'm not going to keep too many toads, as it already can be a hassle to feed them Aleksis is feeling greedy and despite the quarantine I'm very paranoid about a new toad spreading diseases or parasites to my other frogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: My Firebelly Toads

Congrats Caspian FBTs are probably one frog i will never regret owning
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Very cute FBT'S! They are great little characters
    2.1.0 Oriental Firebelly Toads
    1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog
    4.2.0 Guinea Pigs
    1.1.0 Cats

Nationality
    [Canada]

Agreed, Ryan they're definitely very fun to keep and just so cute and you're right, Joey. I've found each one is their own character with their own personality, traits, and quirks.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [United States]

very nice!

Nationality
    [United States]

Glad you are happy with FBTs !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you, Tobias!

And, so am I Carlos

Oh and since some of the photos glitched, I'll repost them here:

Name:  DSCF3473.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  50.0 KB

Rear View of Aleksis

Name:  DSCF3455.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  56.0 KB

Aleksis on the filter, with Sasha in the background.

Name:  DSCF3457.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  85.3 KB

A full view of their tank, with Dimitri on the cave, Aleksis on the filter, and Sasha on the feeding rock.
    My Amphibians:

Thread Information