Thread: Prolapse?

Default Prolapse?

I noticed Ned (Litoria aurea) was a bit lethargic so I put him in a clean hospital tank a couple of days ago.. Yesterday I noticed what I though was a prolapse, so I gave him a lukewarm sugar bath, which seemed to perk him up and help. I looked at him again today but I noticed the prolapse is still there. Taking him to the vet isn't an option, any ideas for what I can do? The last thing he ate was an earthworm dusted in ReptaBoost a few days ago

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410332757.548555.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  120.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410332779.304136.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  84.2 KB

EDIT: Gave him a sugar bath and he started to seize up... reminds me of his problems last year with calcium deficiency (http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...lp-needed.html), could that also be the cause of the prolapse? I dust his food with Fluker's Calcium+D3. His front right foot is now all curled up and he seem to has lost co-ordination.
    Last edited by BlueKiwiOca; September 10th, 2014 at 03:35 AM.

If dragons were real I'd totally be in on that...
    1 German Shepherd X- Badger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Prolapse?

Looks like you got a couple issues in there. That does not look like a prolapse, more like an infection that could be caused by parasites or bacteria.

Have you done any fecal exams on frog and if so, what were results? Can you get a fecal done soon? Need to know what is the pathogen to treat properly.

What water are you using and how you treat it. Also, is your CA/D3 product within it's periodicity? Do you dust with multivitamins? If not, need to add to it's feeding, sample schedules in here: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. Also, you could try Repashy's Calcium Plus and dust all it's food in it every feeding day.

Recommend suspend the sugar baths. In it's place, try and get Pedialyte or local variant of unflavored baby electrolyte product. Prepare solution by mixing 90% 80F (27C) dechlorinated tap water with 10% electrolyte. Give frog a bath twice a day and let us know how it goes. This is the best we can do, your frog really needs a visit to vet in order to ascertain the cause of intestinal and neurological problems and get strong antibiotics.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

The only baby electrolytes we can get here are flavoured... Heather sent me some unflavoured Pedialyte about this time last year, and I froze the remainder... can I use this?
    I haven't had a fecal done, but I'll see if my local vet can do one. From what I know there aren't any vets with amphibian knowledge in my city, and the three vets in my area have told me they won't see a frog.

I can't find the calcium powder at the moment (no idea where it could have gone in the last few days!) but I'll check the expiry date.. it's been open for over a year and it did occur to me that it could have oxidised and now be past its best. I don't dust with multivitamins as I can't get them here in New Zealand.

Do you have any idea what antibiotics might be used, and in which dosage? I may be able to source them myself, since my vet has no clue about treating amphibians.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, you can thaw a bit and try it. This article can get you some ideas on what can and can't be used: Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid. Additionally; most fish meds are safe in the doses prescribed for fish to provide baths. I've used a combo of Melafix and Pimafix (fish meds) in the past; but they are slower acting and not sure will work fast enough in your case.

Still unsure about cause of convulsion. Could be expired CA dust or the water you are using .

Sorry forgot to say, the water is just regular de-chlorinated tap water. I live in the suburbs so should be free of contaminants. I have a feeling the calcium has expired, still haven't found it though, but I know it tends to oxidise and become unusable. I'll see what I can do in the meantime, I have exams on at the moment. He seems to be okay at the moment, moving around a little and his foot has uncurled. Still very quiet and quite shy, hiding away. I'm keeping his tank covered and warm so he doesnt get stressed..

Nationality
    [United States]

I buy the smallest vitamin bottles and keep track of expiration dates. Also, store them on refrigerator after opening.

For multi-vitamins; go to Amazon Global page and in Pet Supplies, search for "reptile vitamins." They have Rep-Cal Multivitamins and also Fluker's ReptaBoost in stock and will ship to New Zealand. Sadly they do not sell Repashy products or Pedialyte.

I'll do that asap. I do have liquid vitamins but I'm not sure whether they're useful for the frogs...

I'm giving him a 1:10 pedialyte soak right now, I can see a bit of shed around his arms but he seems to have perked up a little. Should I try feeding him a Repti-Boost dusted earthworm? No-ones used our vege garden in years so I'm pretty sure it's contaminant free

the frog first aid thread you linked me to suggests salt for treating intestinal infections; should I try this? Thank you so much for your help by the way, you're always so ready and willing to offer advice
    Pink area surrounding cloaca, bulging cloaca.
    Infections in intestines.
    Treat with SALT. Grind into a powder and sprinkle on food.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, you can add ReptaBoost to it's food for a week or so. Have not used salt sprinkled in food for internal infections. Those are going to be some unhappy earthworms when you salt them .

Thread Information