Thread: Hello, I'm new here.

KimmersLovesToads

Wink Hello, I'm new here.

Hello!

My name is Kim. I live in Upper Bucks County in Nockamixon Lake Territory. I like to take pictures of the toads and local wildlife.

My goal is to make new friends and learn everything I can about toads.

I have a few questions, I hope this is the right place to post them:

1. Is the size of the toad indicative of his/her age? If not, how do you tell their age? I have very tiny toads and one really big one. I believe it's an American Toad, though it looks rather leopard design like. It has many warts.
    2. Is it difficult to keep one in captivity (require daily attendance)? I am not sure that I would because I'm not sure if it died that I'd be able to take it. I'm very protective of the many toads that live around my house. I leave my outside light on to feed them until I go to bed.
    3. Can a Cicada killer bee kill a toad? I would think that if it could kill a small dog that it could kill a toad. I've read that toads will eat bees. I have had at least 25 of these outside my house. I noticed that toads are not interested in those long gray/red millipedes with the 'millions' of red legs. What bugs are poisonous to toads?
    4. Where do the toads who live around me go in the winter? How do they not freeze to death? I believe they do a sort of hibernation. What if they get disturbed where they are hibernating?

I look forward to "meeting" all of you. It's great to be among such lovers of toads and frogs. I sincerely hope I haven't asked silly questions nor asked in the wrong place.

Take care,
    Kim

KimmersLovesToads

Default Re: Hello, I'm new here.

I just noticed another toad peeping out from inside a rotted railroad tie looking at the toad with the slug on it that I posted as an entry to September 2014 contest. SOOO cute! I can't believe I didn't notice it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Kim! Well... will try to answer your questions and hopefully other members chime in, specially in the bug area .

1. Yes, the size would indicate the approximate age as long as food source is available. Exactly what size to what age in what species, you would have to ask and hope forum members have experience with that species. If you post clear pics of toad from above and the side, we will try to ID.

2. No, keeping most American toads is not hard. Here is a good care article for many ground toad species in USA: Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates.

3. Don't think so. Males don't sting and females have to be provoked (i.e. rough handled) and even then; their sting is described as a pin prick (at least to humans). The toad will try and eat it if within it's striking range. Not a bug guy, so don't know all the bugs that are poisonous, other than fireflies.

4. See definition of hibernation in this thread: http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...ion-oh-my.html. Interrupting hibernating could be hazardous to toad. It is recommended not to induce hibernation in captive animals due to risks involved, unless it is a requirement for breeding and then only by experienced keepers.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Hi Kim,

Welcome to the Frog Forum!

All excellent information from Carlos - as always.

American Toads are probably the easiest toads to care for. I kept several wild-caught American Toads when I was a kid and they all did quite well in captivity - even with my limited knowledge as a 10-year old boy. Information is a lot simpler to come by these days, so proper care is much easier to implement. The basic care sheets here on the Frog Form are an excellent resource for all those interested in providing healthy homes for frogs and toads. Use these valuable resources, and you will surely increase your chances of success.

I think that you would make a wonderful caregiver for an American Toad. They can be very interesting pets, with great personalities. And, with good care, they can live quite awhile in captivity.

Oh, and no questions are considered "silly" here on the Forum. Your curiosity only means you care enough to be as informed as possible. Remember, we're all here to help. In a very short time, you will be helping new toad owners yourself!

Any new questions, don't hesitate to ask.

All the best...

RJ

6. 2 members thank RJ72 for this post:

Default Hello, I'm new here.

Welcome to the forum Kim! Nice to see another local on here

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

8. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to the forum Kim!
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

10. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Welcome!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

12. This member thanks Lija for this post:

KimmersLovesToads

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome. I plan to spend this year learning, and maybe I'll adopt a toad next year. I have a whole bunch of pictures that I took of toads. I will post them as I have time. If I find the big toad again, I'll take a few pictures of (him) with a rule. I think it's a male since he has a dark belly. I thought females have a light belly. I know I have a lot to learn.

It is also good to hear from you, Bill. I live close to Philly as you know.

I have a great profile picture of one of the toads, but it doesn't show up. I guess I have to not be a new person for it to be seen because I made sure I followed the upload specifications.

Thanks again for the welcomes and great pointers to assistance. I'm looking forward to finding out who won the picture of the month and hearing your stories and experiences.

Take care,
    Kim

Thread Information