Thread: Question on supplementing and tank mates

Abrahamdelacy

Default Question on supplementing and tank mates

Hey there! Just a couple quick questions. I have one Pacman frog. No idea how old he is (or if it is even a he), but he is a fairly good size (almost bigger than my palm) and I was wondering what the proper supplementation would be. Right now he is being fed about every other day and being supplemented with multivitamins and calcium once a week on separate days. He seems to be doing fine and acting normal, but I just wanted to make sure I had it right. Also I was under the impression that these frogs could not be kept with any other frogs even their own species, but I saw mention of possible tank mates on here? Did I misunderstand something or can they be kept with other frogs safely? If they can be kept with other frogs which one(s) and what are the tank size requirements? Thanks in advance!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Question on supplementing and tank mates

Their tank mates won't last long, they will get eaten. No tank mates. They are very solitary frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Think you misunderstood something, because they can't have tank mates as stated previously. Here is link to their care article if you have not read it: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding. More info on dusting in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Abrahamdelacy

Thanks so much for the responses! I didn't think they could have tank mates. Thanks for the confirmation. Also thank you for the links. They are very helpful!

6. This member thanks Abrahamdelacy for this post:

Randy

Well that depends on who you ask , in general it is not a good idea to house 2 together but there are some who have had success with it. I have an adult male and female ornate frog housed together .I started with a 50 gallon enclosure with a Plexiglas divider in between them and noticed they would sleep by each other at the divider.so i gave it a chance and for the past year they have lived together fine and still like to sleep burrowed next to each other . I've had no fights no attempts to eat each other. I am no novice at amphibians though and i do not recommend you house 2 together without a large tank and a full Plexiglas divider that they cannot penetrate to get to each other . that is the safest sure fire way to not end up with a dead frog. Always keep your frogs well fed a hungry frog will eat ANYTHING including another frog .Everything depends upon the temperament , environment , stress levels and just how comfortable they are in their environment .If i am ever on extended leave form my house i separate them just to be sure i don't come home a few days later and they have eaten each other .My frogs eat bullfrog tadpoles,leopard frogs ,mice ,crickets, grasshoppers .i have tried night crawlers but the pacmans wont eat them .This is rare but my friend who breeds pixies and houses some together as well with no issues but he is a professional breeder and seller of them.There are photos of my frogs on my album feel free to check them out .
    good luck with your frog and ask Griff the Great about care habitat and feeding , he is someone i consider an expert on them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Don't house your frog with another frog. It almost never works even when people are sure of what they're doing (and even then, my money is on the frogs being well fed/kept and luck. The second one is hungry and the other one decides to make a sudden movement, you're probably going to be looking at an injury). But you sound very new to frogs, so just don't bother housing your pac with anything. It will be eaten.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Thread Information