Thread: 2 Colorado River Toads in the same tank?

Icarus

Default 2 Colorado River Toads in the same tank?

Hi all. I am getting 2 Colorado River Toads (one male and one female) and wanted to know 2 things.

1) Is it alright to keep them in the same tank together? I've looked all over the internet and the only reference to this was one pet store saying to do this only if they were the same size as they were known to eat other (smaller) toads. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have not received them yet, but assuming they are roughly the same size should I be worried about them sharing a tank?

2) The only tank I have is a 20 gallon (30' by 12" by 12"?). Assuming they are ok to cohabitate, is this enough space for 2? If not, how large should it be?

And sorry if this is a duplicate of any other thread; I did a thread search before I posted this and found a couple threads where it looked like people were keeping multiples together, but I didn't see someone address this issue exactly.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default 2 Colorado River Toads in the same tank?

Hello! Welcome to the frog forum!!

Colorado river toads are quite poisonous so you must be very careful around them.

Yes, they can cohabitant. They should-need to be the same size in order for it work. Females are larger than males but that usually isnt a problem.

Colorado river toads also get quite large, quite. A 30-40 gallon tank should be used. The 20 is ok for a little while if the frogs are young but if they are sexable then you would be much better off with the recommended size.

A quarantine setup is necessary in order to ensure that you know your frogs are healthy. The setup should include:
    -damp unprinted paper towels as substrate
    -a water dish filled no higher than the toads chin
    - a place to hide

Have you looked at our care sheet? It really helps !

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 2 Colorado River Toads in the same tank?

Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Icarus

Default Re: 2 Colorado River Toads in the same tank?

Thanks! I had read the fact sheet, I just hadn't seen anything about them cohabitating, except when they were feeling frisky. :-) And I will get them a larger tank, or maybe just a second 20 gallon. On that point, do you think they care one way or another whether they live alone or not? (Not to delve too far into the amphibian mind...)

Also one more question. It says to give them a sandy substrate. Is that preferable to husks/bark? (I had read that elsewhere, so I picked up a bag of Repti-Bark (fir bark).) If so, are we talking straight sand? Some kind of mix?

Thanks again! :-)

Thread Information