Thread: My African clawed frog has become very jumpy ?

Yasmin

Default My African clawed frog has become very jumpy ?

Hi

I did have a very content frog and now any time there is a slight movement near the tank my frogs thrash around they look scared.
    I recently bought a second acf frog my original one is about 10 weeks old and the new one is about 5 weeks old. There are two living plants in the tank and a pot like thing for them to hide in.it is out of direct sunlight, water temp is perfect, they are fed daily, the environment is generally quiet and peaceful just a bit of tv in the room but it isn't loud. I notice the smaller frog hides under the original frog quite a lot is that normal? I have a filter, i change part of the water every 3-4 days as these little frogs are so messy. Could they be jumpy because I introduce a new frog? When my first frog was tiny it was living with zebra fish for the first week, they have been removed so that they don't become a meal. He seemed calmer around the fish.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My African clawed frog has become very jumpy ?

What size is your aquarium? Seems adding second frog started issue so overcrowding is possible. Also, please test the Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrate levels and provide the results. Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Yasmin

At the minute they are only in a 6 gallon tank, firstly because they are so tiny and secondly I am getting my 40 gallon tank matured. 0.35 ammonia and 0nitrate and 0.5 nitrites.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If those numbers refer to tank where frogs are, you need to increase the water change frequency and volume. The filter in that tank is not cycled and your Ammonia/Nitrite levels are too high and the probable reason why frogs act that way. Myself would move them to 40G tank now, at least the larger volume of water will dilute their metabolic products better. You can add Seachem Stability or similar product to help accelerate the filter's cycling. Also, recommend don't use ammonia or nitrite neutralizing products like Amquel, it's my experience they interfere with cycling process by aggressively removing the chemicals bacteria need to live, reproduce and populate filter.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Yasmin

Thanks for the advice. I already change it every 3 days. Should I do a full tank change or partial? I add drops to the water to remove chemicals.

Thread Information