Thread: The Best Food For Horned Frogs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile The Best Food For Horned Frogs.

Looks to me that the best food for Horned Frogs are crickets, roaches and night crawlers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: The Best Food For Horned Frogs.

Night crawlers by far .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Default The Best Food For Horned Frogs.

I agree, dusted night crawlers. Calcium with vitamin D3 every other feeding and amphib multivitamin one day a week. Night crawlers are also easy to digest.

It's good for them to have a balanced diet. You can also add in gut-loaded crickets. Crickets themselves are not very nutritious, but by feeding them rinsed fruits and carrots, potatoes, Cheerios, zucchini... You can make them quite a healthy food.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

i just bought a bottle of the zoo med pacman food, my frog loves it. i form a little ball and he attacks it hard. Before that it was crickets gut loaded on lettuce or fruit dusted with calcium. Now my frog looks healthy and loves that prepared food

limnologist

I would say that home-bred bullfrogs are the best food, though it's kinda impractical for the usual pet-keeper to breed bullfrogs for a horned frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Bullfrogs?!?!?! I think that the nightcrawlers are the best. The bones would be hard i think. That aside i don't think that any Anuran should be fed to another in captivity

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

limnologist

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Bullfrogs?!?!?! I think that the nightcrawlers are the best. The bones would be hard i think. That aside i don't think that any Anuran should be fed to another in captivity
    well, the bullfrogs can be fed many other creatures, mixing all the nutrients into one large meal. also, horned frogs naturally eat other Anuran in the wild, in fact, a certain species lives entirely off of frogs.
    The bones aret a problem, horned frogs have strong stomach acids, like snakes, and they can dissolve bones very esily.

Nationality
    [United States]

Cayton isn't wrong. Although I would only do this for species like cornuta. These species are frog eaters. A frog is what are considered complete meals with everything needed. There are some risks like disease and parasite infection, but that is determined by the care given to the feeder frogs. They are not as easily digested as Night Crawlers of course due to bones.

It is however impractical like was previously stated and you never want to go out and catch wild frogs to feed to your pet.

For safe practical purposes Night Crawlers are hard to beat.

10. 2 members thank GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Dubia roaches are also healthy feeders. I forgot about the Repashy food.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

limnologist

red runner roaches are pretty useful for smaller frogs too.

Randy

the bones are a excellent source of calcium for the frog .My experiences with my ornate frogs differs drastically form most here some would call me unorthodox but i have had success with mine .My frogs eat bullfrog tadpoles ,leopard frogs , crickets , grasshoppers and their favorite meal mice .they are full grown adults and live together for the past year with no issues of fighting or attempting to devour each other , in fact they sleep closely together and have copulated but not had eggs . i have a outside tank with water for them on hot summer nights and 2 indoor tanks for them in case they ever do get aggressive with each other or when i am on a trip i separate them as i cannot monitor them when i am not home. I plan to try that zoomed frog food though it sounds interesting.

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you have any photos?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    the bones are a excellent source of calcium for the frog .My experiences with my ornate frogs differs drastically form most here some would call me unorthodox but i have had success with mine .My frogs eat bullfrog tadpoles ,leopard frogs , crickets , grasshoppers and their favorite meal mice .they are full grown adults and live together for the past year with no issues of fighting or attempting to devour each other , in fact they sleep closely together and have copulated but not had eggs . i have a outside tank with water for them on hot summer nights and 2 indoor tanks for them in case they ever do get aggressive with each other or when i am on a trip i separate them as i cannot monitor them when i am not home. I plan to try that zoomed frog food though it sounds interesting.
    If they are similar in size they are less likely go try and eat one another, but I can assure you that eventually an accident will happen. You cannot watch them 24/7.

As for bones well their digestive system is made to break down bone. Fur though does not. It can cause them to be backed up, but if ample time is given between rodents then it usually doesn't pose a issue.

Randy

that's why i love ya griff lol .I do have 2 tanks just for that fact , i never leave them when i know im leaving for an extended amount of time in the same enclosure.i also referred thw new guy to you for your expert advice have a great day .

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Do you have any photos?
    who me?

Thread Information