Thread: Custom enclosure

aegillesp

Default Custom enclosure

So, what I was thinking about doing was building a waterfall system with a small stream maybe for AGTF. What items can I use to build the waterfall out of that are safe for the frogs? I want to use foam and some type of adhesive material that is ok for moist environments without killing or making my frogs ill. I will be using a filtered pump and then have the water under the substrate by using the honeycomb light panels, and screen mesh with some type of other material to make up the rest of the bottom, either reptile carpet or Eco dirt. Any suggestions would help me out quite a bit! Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

sp13126

Default Re: Custom enclosure

I'm currently building a tank with a waterfall in it. I used natural stale stone title from depot, that I broke up to give me different sizes. GE 100% black silicone to hold the titles together when I was stacking the waterfall. Great stuff pond and stone spray foam was used to give it over all shape. You can check out my thread I have of this build. http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...exo-build.html

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Black pond expanding foam works. Spray, let dry, carve fall. Once done and tested can cover with an oatmeal consistency slush made of Titebond III and shredded coco fiber. If using fake plants can use EcoEarth for substrate; but if live plants need ABG type soil.

The egg crate will work to support false bottom. Can also use plastic ties to attach different EC pieces when designing waterfall and pump/filter areas. Lot's of ideas in the members build's with what works and doesn't.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

aegillesp

Awesome thanks! I know with bearded dragon enclosures you can use sanded tile grout and foam to build up an enclosure then use a sealer but I wasn't sure that'd work since frogs have permeable skin...

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Black pond expanding foam works. Spray, let dry, carve fall. Once done and tested can cover with an oatmeal consistency slush made of Titebond III and shredded coco fiber.
    I thought that using wood glue and/or silicone with running water will eventually cause it to fade or completely be washed away until only the foam spray is left? I thought you had to use drylok or hydraulic cement for waterfalls?
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Would be careful using bathroom products like tile grout since some include toxic mildew preventers in their ingredients . Pond foam is safe even if it comes in direct contact with frogs, so is Titebond III.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not worried about whether it would be toxic for the frogs, just whether it would be aesthetically pleasing. I know that some people have used brown silicone, but that once the coco fiber washes off, it leaves a dull, purplish look that's completely unnatural. And yes, definitely look out for mildew preventers and the such.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Custom enclosure

Non sanded grout is an option. I have used it it the past, but it takes a long time to cure and has to be built up in many thin layers to prevent cracking.

Carved foam coated in a waterproofing paint (example: drylok) works very well. It prevents erosion a lot better than something like silicone/cocofiber or titebond/fiber. The titebond holds up much better than the silicone method because the fiber is mixed in with the glue. But erosion does still happen.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri