Thread: New Frog Owners

dbolack

Default New Frog Owners

A friend of the family with three enclosed ponds on her property mentioned a problem she found when preparing her pool this spring.

The cover wasn't on well enough over the winter and as the spring progressed it became her fourth pond. Algae, frogs, etc. Tons of frogs. Being a critter lover, she scooped and moved as many of the tadpoles and egg sacks as she could manage and did what she could to encourage the Grey Tree Frogs and Peepers (I didn't see any that matched the Peepers pictures I could find nor anything that sounded like their call, but...) to move along.

She saved a jar of eggs and tadpoles for us tro bring home and see how many we could get to make it to froglets. We have a lot of spare tanks from keeping Hermit Crabs, thought it would be an interesting use and having so many ponds, if we ended up with many more than we could care for, we have a good place to release the froglets.

While we were out there to pick up the jar she was working on her pool a bit and stirring up the frogs in the process. One I picked up seemed to take a liking? to me and stayed on my hand for most of an hour. Even sang with the others around the pool while on my hand. Once it was time to go, we decided if he didn't bail on the trip to the house he must have picked us.

So I'm trying to get this tank straightened up. The 10 he's in is not tall enough, from what I'm reading, but I have another ten with a cracked bottom I figure I can knock the bottom out of and piece them together. As our usual tank guests have gills, I may be stressing over the humidity a little too much. How high should it be ? I used a full brick of cocofiber, which should help.

We're not sure if he's eating yet and if I'm looking at things right i probably put in too many crickets this first go round. Sounds like I just need more climbies and hidies.

I have dechlor with and without slimecoat, is there a preference?

Is there anything I should watch out for with the mineral supplements?

Is there a "Gutloading for dummies" tutorial?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: New Frog Owners

Welcome aboard. Please select your location in your profile.
    I will take some of this and turn it over to someone else.
    Is there anything I should watch out for with the mineral supplements?
    Make sure they aren't expired.

Is there a "Gutloading for dummies" tutorial?
    I can only tell you what I do.

Cheap cat food.
    Powdered milk.
    Vitamin supplement.
    In a blender add the cat food, doesn't matter how much.
    Add 10% powdered milk by volume.
    Add 1% vitamin supplement by volume.
    Blend this all together until it is the consistency of sand.
    Feed to your crickets.

Kurt

I would include fresh fruits and veggies to the crickets diet.

Make sure supplements have calcium, vitamins D3 and A.

There is a chemical you can get at your local hardware store that debonds silicone. I think its called Lift Off. Using that would be much better and safer than breaking the tank a part. I took a five-gallon tank apart using it. I cleaned it all up and reassembled it with taller pieces of glass replacing the side panels, thus making it into a really tall ten-gallon.

Susan Churchill

Does anyone know if grey tree frog tadpoles eat mosquito larvae? I have over 100 in a fountain. I turned off the pump so the tadpoles would not get sucked in and now I have mosquito larvae swimming on top of the water. I am not crazy about these biters outside around my pool. Is there anything I can put in the fountain water to kill the larvae, but not harm the tadpoles? Please help.

dbolack

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I would include fresh fruits and veggies to the crickets diet.

Make sure supplements have calcium, vitamins D3 and A.

There is a chemical you can get at your local hardware store that debonds silicone. I think its called Lift Off. Using that would be much better and safer than breaking the tank a part. I took a five-gallon tank apart using it. I cleaned it all up and reassembled it with taller pieces of glass replacing the side panels, thus making it into a really tall ten-gallon.
    I'll have to look at that. Are the screen tank topper things I have seen going to keep enough humidity in?That could work as well?

Kurt

I just keep my substrates moist and I mist daily to keep it that way. That seems to be enough for these guys.

dbolack

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I just keep my substrates moist and I mist daily to keep it that way. That seems to be enough for these guys.
    Any target numbers to aim for? We're used to keeping 80/80 for hermies but I am a little concerned that might be too warm or high.

Thread Information