Thread: Pacman Frog enclosure suggestions needed

xghostmakerx

Default Pacman Frog enclosure suggestions needed

Hi, I am looking for a few things for my son's pacman frog enclosure. I do most of my purchasing on Amazon and it seems that most things on Amazon that have to do with amphibians get poor reviews so looking for some expert assistance here. I'd like to get the following things.

Some sort of misting system - currently we mist with a bottle which is fine but I'd like something more consistent
    Digital temp/humidity gauge - I still use the analog one that came with the cage. it works but I've heard they are not very accurate
    Heating pad - We've got a 10 gallon tank and I'd like to make sure the temp is good for the little guy

Any assistance would be great. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman Frog enclosure suggestions needed

Hi and welcome to the forum

i suggest you start with care sheet. Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

what do you have already? Do you have a frog?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

xghostmakerx

Hello Lija, yes we've had out little frog for about a month now. He's actually growing in size and seems to be doing pretty good. I've already read the link that you've referenced multiple times but I was looking for suggestions on brands of equipment. For example, the thread references a tank heater, hygrometer and thermometer but no recommendation on a specific brand. Every place I've looked for these items I've seen a lot of bad reviews so looking specifically for some feedback on brands of these items that are good or specific brands to stay away from.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Got it

tank heater - some people swear by heat pads, but to heat up 10 gal tank you need way bigger pad then 10 gal. They never worked for me. Ultimately it doesnt matter how you heat the tank, as long as you get where it needs to be, if heating pad dont place it on a bottom.

for me the best is to use ceramic heat emitter or infrared heating lamp for heat ( any brand, exo terra was holding up the longest for me).

humidity - fogger or manual spray. Misting systems tend to flood the tank and are better for naturalistic vivaria with good drainage. The best fogger is modified home ultrasonic humidifier ( any brand). Very easy to modify, cheaper and works better then zoomed.

The best piece of equipment is hydrotherm, by zoomed. Not needed but is such a life/sanity/time/ headache( pick one lol) saver.
    It is humidity and temp controller, if you plug fogger and heat lamp in it you will life worry free over humidity/temp in your tank. This controller will keep everything spot on with night drop in temp.

hydrometer/thermometer - all digital are more or less the same, the best working ones for me were regular combos from walmart for like 7-10 $. Analog ones are well known for being a garbage.

I also have infrared gun and checking the readings once in a while in all tanks.

did it answer your questions?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Lija gave you great advice already . If not going with Hygrotherm; Flukers and others make light dome with dimmers that work great with a Ceramic Heat Emitter (60W or lower) .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information