Thread: Does the Red-Eared Slider Make a Good Pet?

findiviglio

Default Does the Red-Eared Slider Make a Good Pet?

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over20 years with the Bronx Zoo.The Red-Eared Slider (Trachemys scripta elegans) is without question the world’s most commonly-kept pet turtle. But while these attractive reptiles are extremely responsive to people, many novice owners underestimate the amount of care and space their upkeep requires…and do not realize that Sliders commonly live to age 20+, and often well beyond. Over time, these factors lead many people to release or re-home their once beloved pets. As a consequence, Sliders have become established, in the wild, in dozens of US states and in countries ranging from Brazil to South Africa and Japan, where they are causing ecological havoc. Turtle adoption services and reptile rescues house literally thousands more unwanted pets. Please read this article carefully before buying or adopting a Red-Eared Slider, and be sure to post any questions below. Please also see the linked articles on the care of Sliders, Map Turtles and similar species. Read the rest of this article here bit.ly/1ttQt4J
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Does the Red-Eared Slider Make a Good Pet?

I'll never forget when I was 12ish looking for turtles in a local pond in nj when I pulled out a massive RES. I wish I took a picture because this was a very large female in a pond that's supposed to house painted, musk, and snapping turtles. Unfortunately they are the goldfish of the turtle trade, prolific breeders, cheap to buy as babies, and grow too big for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

findiviglio

Default Re: Does the Red-Eared Slider Make a Good Pet?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomsloth View Post
    I'll never forget when I was 12ish looking for turtles in a local pond in nj when I pulled out a massive RES. I wish I took a picture because this was a very large female in a pond that's supposed to house painted, musk, and snapping turtles. Unfortunately they are the goldfish of the turtle trade, prolific breeders, cheap to buy as babies, and grow too big for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you...the largest I've measured came out of n. NJ...12" carapace (straight line, not over the shell's curve) and 113/4 " wide. best, Frank

Thread Information