Thread: Where to buy aquatic frogs?

Default Where to buy aquatic frogs?

I have decided I want to once again venture in to the aquatic frogs route. Much easier, cleaner, eats pellets and commercial foods or dead insects, etc. I was thinking of getting either a trio of african clawed frogs(xenopus laevis), or a pair suriname toad(pipa pipa).

I am trying to find the BEST of the BEST online sites that sell aquatic frogs. I remember seeing a site that carries different types of african clawed frogs. Like albinos, labraised ones, reticulated albinos, natural ones(like larger and this kind of brown/black marble color to it), there were a few others too. But Iam wanting to look at ADULTS I dont want babies, I want to go straight for the adults. Babies have a high mortality rate. I already know their care so all I n eed to do is find sites. Iam also trying to look for the pipa pipa. I wanna know which one Id get. Theyd probably go in a 55gallon.
    If there is any other fully aquatic frogs ASIDE from the african dwarf frogs. Id like to hear them as well.
    Please and thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Where to buy aquatic frogs?

Aquatic frogs are occasionally available at most pet shops, reptile sales and even at Wal-Mart. The most commonly available are the albino Xenopus laevis, which are lab bred and smaller than the so-called "wild type". A great website for information on clawed frogs is Xenopus Express Homepage.

I don't think clawed frogs are as popular now as in the past. They are known carriers of the chytrid fungus, an invasive species known to harm native frogs if released, and are illegal to keep in many states. Despite this, they are fantastic frogs! I've been keeping them for over 30 years.

I have seen Pipa pipa available at reptile sales. I have not seen many breeders selling them nor have I seen very many Suriname toad websites. There is a German site that has some good information, pipidae.org - tongueless frogs worldwide - Zungenlose Frösche weltweit.

Some online sites where I have seen clawed frogs for sale are:

Xenopus Express Homepage
    Enasco Search Results - "xenopus"
    Xenopus One Home

These sites often sell species other than laevis. I recommend getting Xenopus borealis or Xenopus (Silurana) tropicalis for something a little different.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

I want a female "Wild Type", male albino, female reticulated, female tropicalis, male borealis. I want the first one for sure. :P Maybe Ill go for like the wild type, reticulated, and borealis or tropicalis. xD from xenopus express. Id like them all but Idk if a 55g would hold them all.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You could probably have 8-10 in a 55 tank. Borealis and tropicalis are smaller than laevis. Please let me know how your experience with Xenopus Express is.

Thread Information