Thread: Sick White's? Light spots? Help!

lthacher

Exclamation Sick White's? Light spots? Help!

I have had my whites tree frog, nugget, for a little over a year now and he seems to be doing fine except I just noticed some light-colored discoloration on his back. Does anyone know what this could be? I fear an infection of some kind and I believe I have access to a vet that can see exotics. Please help because I know that he could go downhill fast if there is something wrong

Just so you know the light I use is purple and it reflects on his skin, that's not what I am looking at.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick White's? Light spots? Help!

Hello,

If this is day one of noticing this - you could make an appt for tomorrow -so you have the appt.
    I agree, they can get worse very quickly. ASK the vet's office if they see frogs ! ( be specific) If not, get a referral.
    If possible obtain a fecal ( stool ) sample- bring it to the vet with you. Place it in a ziplock bag and keep it at room temp.
    The fresher the sample the better--- the older it is the increase possibility the results could be a FALSE negative.

It is difficult to tell by the photo, but it looks dry in there. Double check to be sure the humidity is ok.

As well, review all of the very important ( day-to-day ) care such as as calcium and Vit D, the right temp, and de-chlorinated water.
    Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea

Be sure he soaks ! in de-chlorinated water or a pedi soak.
    If you have seen any diarrhea or the frog has not eaten..... then the vet appt should be sooner.
    And, you should do the 1:10 pedialyte soak. ( 1 part pedialyte to 10 parts distilled or de-chlorinated water )

Please answer the " Trouble in the Enclosure " questions found as a sticky in this, the Tree Frog section.
    Cut /paste/ answer/ the questions here in another reply.

Answering these ? will help you, us, and the vet to identify potential problems.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...enclosure.html

BTW- please set your "country " in member settings. It is important.
    ie: if you are not in the US..... the product "pedialyte" may not be available by the same manufacture

Sorry
    Keep us posted

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Dearcaitlinn

Lightbulb Re: Sick White's? Light spots? Help!

I had this exact problem with my White's very shortly after getting him. He was part of a group aquatic science project and we were completely unprepared and put him in a horrible setup. I won't go into detail but he was probably miserable for those first 2 weeks, I feel horrible about it now.

But I noticed he had white spots like that on his back and they were getting worse. The vet was out of the question because it was too expensive and nobody in my group was willing to chip in because we didn't choose this frog like we selected all of our fish, it had been given to us. So nobody else cared if it died. (great group, huh?)

SO after lots of googling I was pretty sure it was a fungal infection and found out there was a home remedy that might work and thought I'd give it a shot, though I was doubtful.

The website I read told me to bathe him in a 2% solution of mercurochrome (or malachite green) in water. Obviously the mixture needs to be shallow so that the frogs head is above the water. So I got malachite green and brought it back to school. I used a small bowl for the mixture then put my White's tree frog in it.
    By this point he was so sick that I didn't have to worry much about him trying to escape. Plus they love sitting in water.

I left him in it for 5 mins (that's the recommended time, I wouldnt risk keeping him there any longer). You can do this every day, but only once a day until it gets better. If it doesn't improve after a couple of weeks though, a vet is your next option.

It worked for me after 3 or 4 days, and I took frogger home after this ordeal and he's been mine ever since. Nobody else in my group wanted him and I fell in love with the guy lol.

Dearcaitlinn

Lightbulb Re: Sick White's? Light spots? Help!

I had this exact problem with my White's very shortly after getting him. I actually got him in my aquatic science class for our group aquarium/terrarium project when another group wanted one and were told they had to purchase more than one. So basically my group ended up with a frog we knew nothing about and gave him a very small space above our aquarium.
    The tank was way too humid, had horrible ventilation and he would regularly jump into the water part of the tank, swim to the other side to attempt to escape then swim back to his side. I now know we were doing EVERYTHING wrong. After some research, when I got back to school (our tanks were kept there because the teacher provided them) I noticed whitish spots on his back. I spoke with my teacher and she gave me a 10 gal tank to move him into since I now knew he needed a much bigger area and shouldn't have access to deep water, among a bunch of other things. I'm lucky he didn't drown. But anyway, I researched the spots because I didn't want him to die and nobody else in my group cared enough to look into it. The vet was out of the question because it was too expensive and nobody in my group was willing to chip in.

SO after lots of googling I was pretty sure it was a fungal infection and found out there was a home remedy that might work and thought I'd give it a shot, though I was doubtful.
    The website I read told me to bathe him in a 2% solution of mercurochrome (or malachite green) in water. Obviously the mixture needs to be shallow so that the frogs head is above the water. So I got malachite green and brought it back to school. I used a small bowl for the mixture then put my White's tree frog in it. By this point he was so sick that I didn't have to worry much about him trying to escape. Plus they love sitting in water. I left him in it for 5 mins (that's the recommended time, I wouldnt risk keeping him there any longer). You can do this every day, but only once a day until it gets better. If it doesn't improve after a couple of weeks though, a vet is your next option. It worked for me after 3 or 4 days, and I took frogger home after this ordeal and he's been mine ever since. Nobody else in my group wanted him and I fell in love with the guy lol.

I know this response is a little late but when mine was sick I had a hell of a time figuring out what it was so maybe this will help somebody

Thread Information