Thread: Sick Tree Frog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kaddock

Default Sick Tree Frog

One of my Pacific Tree Frogs is paling to a muddy gray color... His lips are swollen and under his chin he has a dark brown patch... the kind of brown I would associate with rotting...

What do I do? He is still interested in food and I just enlarged the enclosure. They have plenty of hiding spots, humidity, and clean water. Any ideas?

Paul Rust

Default Re: Sick Tree Frog

First of all welcome to Frog Forum.
    Pacific Chorus Frogs change color based on temp and humidity, this is normal and uncontrollable.The dark brown wrinkled patch is there because he is in the middle of mating season and that is his vocal sac. If you still think something is wrong, post a pic and we can look at it.

Kaddock

Well, I just thought it was strange because the fading of color looked unnatural and coincided so perfectly with the swollen lips... I've seen them change to many different colors, but sickly grayish was one I didn't expect. If you think it's normal than I'll just keep just keep an eye on him them.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there and welcome. Could you post a photo?

Kaddock

I tried with my phone cam but can't get anything remotely clear for a picture... So... I've drawn you one! It almost looks like a butt is coming out his mouth, it's very swollen now and appears to bother him if I touch it. The protrusion is only on the upper part of his mouth. Also, I hope the patch on his neck is just the throat sac, cause it looks gross....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Skulldroog

I'd say don't worry about it too much, if it's mating season that's his vocal sack for sure..

froggiez

I hope your little guys get better!
    thanks for the warning of plastic dishes, i too an using a plastic container, am changing it now!

Kaddock

Quote Originally Posted by froggiez View Post
    I hope your little guys get better!
    thanks for the warning of plastic dishes, i too an using a plastic container, am changing it now!
    It can't hurt!

TheMaskedMan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaddock View Post
    It can't hurt!
    So what happend to the frogs?....i was on pins and needles reading the threads?.....did they make it???

Kaddock

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaskedMan View Post
    So what happend to the frogs?....i was on pins and needles reading the threads?.....did they make it???
    They are active and eating and seemingly in good health... besides the lips. The swelling has lessened somewhat, but is still obvious.

TheMaskedMan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaddock View Post
    They are active and eating and seemingly in good health... besides the lips. The swelling has lessened somewhat, but is still obvious.
    Glad to hear they are ok......a coincidence.....this weekend I decided to feed my frogs some bugs from my yard, and they were hapilly munching away.....then i found a pincher bug (earwig) and i threw him in their tank, one of my males quickly snapped him up and was immediatly pinched and he threw him up, but his tongue was hanging out of his mouth for about 30 minutes swollen....but he recovered and is ok and eating.....I kept thinking of your swollen lipped frogs....wheeew.....

Kaddock

I believe I've solved this mystery...

The female's lips are almost completely normal now, but it doesn't seem to matter now unfortunately, given my last update to the other issue: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...html#post47822

I'm pretty positive now that it was the chemicals on my floor... Why? The male jumped out of the tank and was on the floor for literally a couple of seconds. I washed him off as well as I could and put him back. Now his lip (still much larger on one side strangely) is completely swollen again. Dang it.

Thread Information