Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sick Tree Frog

Kaddock

Default Re: Sick Tree Frog

Hmm.... Well, I'll try washing the plant and it's roots, and maybe just use the coconut substrate to replant it. I'll think about grabbing a ceramic dish tomorrow from the pet store, couldn't hurt. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Anytime. I wish you and your frogs all the best. Let me know how they are doing. Yoki (who is calling right now) sends his best, too!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I'm just putting this out there, but I wonder if the plastic water dish might be an issue? I know on another thread in the forum, it was mentioned not to keep young frogs in plastic pet containers as they seem to die-perhaps from the plastic leaking soemthing. With all the negativity about plastic everything nowadays, I wonder if it could be true for using plastic water dishes, especially with frogs being so sensitive?
    The jury is still out on that. I have talked to one breeder who stated that polycarbonate cages (faunarium, critter keepers, and so on) kill baby red-eyes. I know of no scientific data to back-up that claim.

Then I talked to Michael Novy and he said that's BS, and that he uses them all the time with no problem. Still I feel safer glass, because I know that is inert.

Kaddock

Well... I've been using the meds everyday, but I think I may discontinue them as not only has it been twice the recommended treatment period, but there has been no affect. They don't seem too much worse, but the male is noticeably more sluggish than the female. Her lips have now swollen as large as his. I changed the water to a ceramic bowl as well. I think they may be done for, but I will continue to care for them and love them... They are still eating, and the female seems pretty active. The male spends more time hiding, but he still jumps and climbs, so maybe he's just a grumper. Any more ideas? At this point I don't know what it could be besides minor exposure to the poison that was on the floor. I'll let you know if there's any more developments.

Jace

Sorry to hear they haven't recovered. I hope to hear that they made a miraculous recovery. Until then, best of luck and keep us posted.

Kaddock

I have some of the stuff in the tank hot glued in a couple of places. Could they be reacting to this????

Kurt

Its a possibility, but I don't know enought to say for sure.

Kaddock

Hopefully I can get it all out of there.

Kaddock

Well... all of the obvious problems have been out of the cage for a long time. The frogs eat, jump, and chirp every once in a while... However, there has been only very slight changes in their predicament. It looks like the swelling has gone down in some places, and stayed bulbous in others. It remains confined to the lips though.

froggiez

I hope your little guys get better!
    thanks for the warning of plastic dishes, i too an using a plastic container, am changing it now!

Kaddock

Quote Originally Posted by froggiez View Post
    I hope your little guys get better!
    thanks for the warning of plastic dishes, i too an using a plastic container, am changing it now!
    It can't hurt!

TheMaskedMan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaddock View Post
    It can't hurt!
    So what happend to the frogs?....i was on pins and needles reading the threads?.....did they make it???

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    The jury is still out on that. I have talked to one breeder who stated that polycarbonate cages (faunarium, critter keepers, and so on) kill baby red-eyes. I know of no scientific data to back-up that claim.

Then I talked to Michael Novy and he said that's BS, and that he uses them all the time with no problem. Still I feel safer glass, because I know that is inert.
    I use Kritter Keepers to quarantine frogs, including Agalychnis sp. and have never had issues from them.

TheMaskedMan

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I use Kritter Keepers to quarantine frogs, including Agalychnis sp. and have never had issues from them.

Same here, no problems with those products for years......weird...

Kaddock

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaskedMan View Post
    So what happend to the frogs?....i was on pins and needles reading the threads?.....did they make it???
    They are active and eating and seemingly in good health... besides the lips. The swelling has lessened somewhat, but is still obvious.

TheMaskedMan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaddock View Post
    They are active and eating and seemingly in good health... besides the lips. The swelling has lessened somewhat, but is still obvious.
    Glad to hear they are ok......a coincidence.....this weekend I decided to feed my frogs some bugs from my yard, and they were hapilly munching away.....then i found a pincher bug (earwig) and i threw him in their tank, one of my males quickly snapped him up and was immediatly pinched and he threw him up, but his tongue was hanging out of his mouth for about 30 minutes swollen....but he recovered and is ok and eating.....I kept thinking of your swollen lipped frogs....wheeew.....

Kaddock

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaskedMan View Post
    Glad to hear they are ok......a coincidence.....this weekend I decided to feed my frogs some bugs from my yard, and they were hapilly munching away.....then i found a pincher bug (earwig) and i threw him in their tank, one of my males quickly snapped him up and was immediatly pinched and he threw him up, but his tongue was hanging out of his mouth for about 30 minutes swollen....but he recovered and is ok and eating.....I kept thinking of your swollen lipped frogs....wheeew.....
    Well, I'm glad yours recovered so quickly!

Kaddock

I believe I've solved this mystery...

The female's lips are almost completely normal now, but it doesn't seem to matter now unfortunately, given my last update to the other issue: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...html#post47822

I'm pretty positive now that it was the chemicals on my floor... Why? The male jumped out of the tank and was on the floor for literally a couple of seconds. I washed him off as well as I could and put him back. Now his lip (still much larger on one side strangely) is completely swollen again. Dang it.

Gaby

Hi, I am new to this sight. I just registered to ask a similar question. I have 11 PCF's that I rescued as tadpoles from a puddle. They are fat and happy. I do however have 1 male frog that has developed the same lip condition. I am currently calling him fat lip. He is also still eating just fine. He does seem to put his head back pretty far some times like he is trying to breath. Although I know he is getting plenty of air. I had left off dusting the crickets that I raise or get from the pet store with calcium for the same reason. I didn't see the point with the water just washing the calcium off. I will definately be going back to doing that. My set up is somewhat different than yours. I have a level of water in half the tank that is about an inch deep. I only use natural items in my tank. It is quite large. The frogs all get along great and only the one has developed this lip condition. They are all over a year old. I use house plants that I soak before putting them in my tank and I have removed all of the soil from the beginning. I haven't found a plant yet that can't survive in just water. I did just recently place a dish designed for reptiles into the tank. But it hasn't seemed to affect any of my other frogs. I took mine to the vet and he indicated that some frogs can develop abnormalities that don't show up till later in life due to the heavy metals in the water of streams and just about everywhere else also. May I ask the name of the medication that your doctor perscribed for your frog? Another vet I took my frog to sugested that it is possible that my frog could have been bitten by one of the crickets he ate and it could be an infection. I have never used meal worms because they gross me out and I understand them to be of less nutritional value than crickets. I raise my own crickets off and on. Meal worms also bite. The larger ones do anyway. They bite fingers if you put them in by hand. I have 10" tongs. I have force fed my frog a couple of times because he seemed like he was becoming disinterested in his food. The doctor said if they stop eating on their own you have to keep them fed by force feeding to keep an apetite going. After 2 force feedings he went a couple of days then he snatched a big fat cricket on his own. I was very happy. He seems happy enough. The dark patch on your frogs neck is perfectly normal because he is a male. My frogs turn every color of the spectrum. I have 2 that are bright green. 1 that is a copper color. 3 that alternate between very dark, brown, taupe, grey. I even have 1 that is almost white most of the time. I am going to be sure to let the tank water for cleaning sit for a day to disipate any chemical etc. I have half coconut shells in my tank and champagne corks. I will try to add a photo after I clean the tank this weekend. I hope to keep in touch with this thread and see if we can't help each other out. Thank you so much for all of the info and the opportunity to communicate with others that understand. I hope your frog stays well. I will let you know anything I find out myself. Thanks.

21. This member thanks Gaby for this post:

amphibianlover

Hello Gaby. I am new to this forum or any forum for that matter. I am glad to see you have written only two weeks ago because it looks like no one has been on here since 2010. I am so sorry that your frog has the swollen lips. I am so sad and worried about my Pacific Tree Frog. He seems to be having the same problem with the swollen lips. I was wondering how your frog is doing now and if you went to the vet what did they do for you? Did the swelling ever go down? Did you ever figure out what the problem could be? I am not sure who sees frogs in my area but I need to find someone but for now I was hoping maybe you had any advice? I hope to hear from you soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information