Thread: What are my wtfs doing?

ddawgs3

Exclamation What are my wtfs doing?

My wtfs keep urinating on me?! What am i doin wrong?!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What are my wtfs doing?

Hi there, Frogs will do this when frightened. It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. The frog will need time to get used to you.

jtay

Many amphibians that are unaccustomed to being handled will do this - they release the fluid contents of the cloaca. This is the animals fluid reserves and after being discharged should be replaced - just put the frog in some water after it does this.

I had had my frogs for a year and a half and one of them sometimes still does this.
    It will eventually get used to you handling it - like Ebony said

IgbyKibbits

My guys are less than a year old, but one thing that has made a world of difference is this:

Listen/watch what your frogs want, and don't force anything if you can tell they are feeling less than friendly that day! They aren't like cats :P And holding them when they don't want to be held can stress them out, even make them sick!

Here's what I did. After washing my hands with safe soap, and spraying them with some filtered water (to make sure I don't have any of the dangerous oils on my skin that they are sensitive too), I started holding them inside the tank (I have one of the exoterra's that opens in the front). This really helped them get used to me without being too scared because they could leap to the nearest branch any time they wanted. And once they leapt away, I let them be. Over time, they sat there longer and longer! In fact, now, on "tank cleaning days," when I'm transferring them back into their normal tank from the temp. tank, I have problems getting them to leave my hand! Kibbits (the shyer of the two) will even walk further up my arm and stay there until he works up the courage to go exploring in his new tank. In other words, by letting my guys have 90% of the control when holding them over these months, they've decided I'm a "safe" branch to rely on, rather than being scary. Not a bad feeling!

Thread Information