Thread: Help with Ornate spine issue

Marisa

Default Help with Ornate spine issue

Hello. First post here. Basically I posted this on other forums as well but I've gotten no suggestions or even ideas as to whats going on with my little guy. But first, just for reference I've been keeping various reptiles for a long time, and have had a few horned frogs. Currently I have two adults (one is cranwelli and the other is a fantasy) as well as a small Ornate.

I purchased this Ornate in early Feb of this year. At the time he was the size of a water bottle cap, and I did notice a SLIGHT curve where his spine/butt ended. You can see that slight curve in this photo, which was taken when I got him or around that time:

He ate like I champ so I didn't worry. Now fast forward and I start getting concerned about a month ago because his growth rate is just nothing. He hasn't grown at all. His diet is usually crickets and I use Repashy ICB to dust. Anyways then yesterday I move him to clean and notice his once barely curved spine now looks like THIS!:

Sine he usually is sitting on his butt, I do not know when it got this bad. I just KNEW the not growing (yet eating) was a problem but nothing else was wrong until I found this. It looks like it's almost poking out of his skin, and his movements are a bit different then normal.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on here? It's almost as if his spine as grown while nothing else on him has or something.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with Ornate spine issue

I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definitive diagnosis of this over the internet (and I doubt any vet will say anything until they have the frog in person). However, there are a couple of things we can say with certainty. Firstly, he hasn't grown. Secondly, his spine is deformed.

I haven't seen anything quite like this before but I think we can logically conclude that these two symptoms are caused by the same problem. As to what that is, I don't know. I can think of a few possibilities but I am guessing. Hormonal problem seems most likely to me, with an underlying genetic cause, but as I said, I am guessing. In any case, I believe that no matter what the cause, this is one of those problems that can't really be treated/solved.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Marisa

Thanks for your input. I also have little to no hope of actually helping the problem. I am just curious if anyone around had seen it before, or had any thoughts on it.

It really sucks. I've wanted an Ornate forever.

Marisa

Well things are going from weird, to weirder....or worse to worse.

He has another bone growing out of his body....his spine is still almost popping out and now there is another one coming out of his back on the top...sorry but it's almost impossible to photograph. But here is the best I could do.

I believe it's time to put this frog down. Does anyone have recommendations? Should I take it to the vet for this or is there a humane way I can do it myself?

Jace

So sorry to see your frog having so many issues! I wish you all the best in making such a difficult decision.

Kurt

Take it to the vet, maybe it can actually be saved.

Marisa

I will probably take it to get put down at the vet, but I can't imagine how a vet would save this frog....you can't cut off the two portions of bone that are now so overgrown they are pushing out?

He is having a hard time moving around with those, unless they are gone I am not sure how he will move fast enough to catch food etc.

Kurt

All I am saying, is don't give up hope until a vet sees it. Who knows? Maybe it can be saved.

SethD

It looks like he has a crooked hips. Part of the enlarging hip bone appears to be the additional "bump" that is showing up now. Deformities like this occur from time to time in tadpoles but breeders usually cull them if they are noticed. Normally the tadpole will have a visibly crooked tail near the base and when they morph they will also have a crooked back or hips. Sometimes the froglets will do ok and just look a little odd but most of the time they will fail to thrive and die eventually. I doubt there is much you can do and in this case from what you describe and what I can see I would agree with your assessment that the frog should probably be put down.

Marisa

Thanks for everyones ideas and thoughts. This frog was dead this morning when I checked on it. Considering he never got larger then a water bottle cap, I think it was just not meant to be.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry for your loss Marisa .
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

So sorry.

Jace

Very sorry to hear.

Thread Information