Thread: Miracle Cure or Hoax?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Miracle Cure or Hoax?

I came across a product I was unfamiliar with - Reptaid Supplement & Aid produced by Amber Technology and sold by Big Apple Herp.

Reptaid Reptile Supplement - Organic Antibiotic & Antiparasitic For Reptiles

The person who originally posted the link and said they had used it successfully on their four frogs quickly deleted the link as soon as I started asking questions. It sparked my curiosity though, so I started looking for more information.

I am wary of any product that claims to be a miracle cure or to have NO side effects. Even all natural things have side effects. The very name is a rip-off of Fluker's Repta-aid. The video does not mention using this product for amphibians. Also, among the ingredients listed is cloves. This is a red flag to me since clove oil can be used for euthanasia. And it says it is for "reptiles under 250 grams." Since a dose is apparently 1 to 2 drops, it would be extremely hard to give proper dosage to any frogs other than the biggest.

Any feedback on this product would be appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Miracle Cure or Hoax?

Great find Colleen/Jerrod ! It even "overcomes viruses... and helps with low reptile libido !" Furthermore, the ingredient list and it's effects appear written for human diseases; not reptile or amphibians health. Definitely sounds like one of those cure all potions sold during the wild wild west era and probably it's as effective as those too !

Ingredients:
    Olive Leaf - Helps keep colds and flu at bay, supports immune system, high in antioxidants. Olive Leaf is an excellent anti-microbial that will kill viruses and bacteria.
    Mustard Seed - Used in fevers, colds and influenza. Helps move acute conditions from the body more quickly.
    Black Seed - An overall tonic herb known for its effects on the respiratory system, stomach and intestinal tract, kidney and liver, and the circulatory and immune system.
    Pau D’arco - South American herb that is used for parasites and fungus. Also used for dry cough, anti-inflammatory and blood cleansing.
    Cloves - rids the body of any microscopic parasites and soothes the intestinal tract. Strong disinfecting action.
    Grapefruit Seed Extract – Used as a parasitic for small parasites. Has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
    Alcohol - brings out the properties in the herbs and preserves the tincture.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The elixir that cures everything - the real snake oil for snakes! I remember another product called VitaShell, you rub it on a turtle's shell to make it shiny. What a waste of money.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Bump

I was going to post about this and found this thread. I have been researching this product like crazy. Can not confirm if it is useful for frogs or not.
    I bought some and am returning tomorrow after reading this and seeing what clove oil is used for.
    If anyone has used this product with success, please tell us about it. I have a frog not eating for over a week. I did soak in pedialyte for the past three nights while waiting for this to arrive. He ate 4 crix last night!
    I love him too much to experiment. Would be nice to know this worked on parasites.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by wen View Post
    Bump

I was going to post about this and found this thread. I have been researching this product like crazy. Can not confirm if it is useful for frogs or not.
    I bought some and am returning tomorrow after reading this and seeing what clove oil is used for.
    If anyone has used this product with success, please tell us about it. I have a frog not eating for over a week. I did soak in pedialyte for the past three nights while waiting for this to arrive. He ate 4 crix last night!
    I love him too much to experiment. Would be nice to know this worked on parasites.
    Hi Wendy,
    Well, no users of the product have stepped forward. I don't believe anything can be a cure-all. It might not be bad for them, but I can't believe this product does everything they claim. One product that functions as an antibacterial, antifungal, antivirus, vitamin supplement, etc.?? Just within accepted medicine, you have to use different meds to treat different types of parasites.

Has your frog started eating yet?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Hi Wendy,
    Well, no users of the product have stepped forward. I don't believe anything can be a cure-all. It might not be bad for them, but I can't believe this product does everything they claim. One product that functions as an antibacterial, antifungal, antivirus, vitamin supplement, etc.?? Just within accepted medicine, you have to use different meds to treat different types of parasites.

Has your frog started eating yet?
    I agree, I was concerned so I returned the product.
    Yes, he is eating very well. I found out he was stressed out because of the new digital therm/hydo. or because an outdoor frog was outside the window at night. I covered 3 sides of his tank and did the pedi soaks for 3 days and he was back to eating on day 3. He is still skinny though and he is a big frog. Thank you for asking about him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by wen View Post
    I agree, I was concerned so I returned the product.
    Yes, he is eating very well. I found out he was stressed out because of the new digital therm/hydo. or because an outdoor frog was outside the window at night. I covered 3 sides of his tank and did the pedi soaks for 3 days and he was back to eating on day 3. He is still skinny though and he is a big frog. Thank you for asking about him.
    I'm very glad to hear he is doing better! True, they can get stressed out by very small changes. My Loki has one favorite fake plant that has to be placed in the center of his tank or he gets very stressed. I tried switching to a very similar looking plant once, but he wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Thread Information