Thread: New Here! What Kind Of Frogs Are These?

LyricAndTempo

Default New Here! What Kind Of Frogs Are These?

I took in two rescue frogs, and I'm trying to figure out what they are. I was told the larger one was an Egyptian Toad, and the smaller one was a Tomato Frog. Looking online however, the smaller one does not look like a tomato frog, not even a baby one. Could someone confirm what these two frogs are, so that I can start researching the proper caresheet for them.

The supposed "tomato frog" is only about the size of my thumb, and came from horrible conditions. He's currently suffering from an ulcer in his eye, and his other eye is completely gone after an ulcer supposedly destroyed it. I got him to a vet, and he's now on antibiotics and eye cream for his eye, and is doing better.

Here is the one that I was told in a tomato frog, though I have my doubts.

And here is the larger one, that I was told was an Egyptian Toad. He has a respiratory infection, inner ear infection and head tilt, and is currently on antibiotic injections.

(that dirty bowl he's in, is what he came in, with 1 gallon container. He's now currently in a clean and spacious 10 gallon home, with a UVB light and proper heating).

Thanks in advance!

hyla

Default Re: New Here! What Kind Of Frogs Are These?

Good for you for doing them a huge favor and taking them in, sounds like they were in a very bad environment before. I dont know what they are, but that first one does not look like a tomato frog at all to me.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The first picture almost looks like the color patterning of a chorus frog, but the colors are off, so I don't think it is. (No. It is definitely not a tomato frog.) I have no idea of the second picture. Do you know where this person got them? These are unusual frogs. Were they wild caught? That might help us narrow down the region and ID the species.

LyricAndTempo

They came from a pet store where I used to work for years. I was contacted by the person running the animal department now, and was asked if I would take them, because they were very ill and would likely die if left at the store. So they gave them both to me.

Most of their reptile orders, that I know of, come from Cal-Zoo (California Zoological Supply).

Looking online, the small one almost looks like a red-legged walking frog.

The store said they didn't know what type of frogs they were, because the person who ordered them is no longer there now.

Kurt

The first one is definitely a Kassina maculata, red-legged walking frog. The second I can only narrow down to family and possibly genus. It is a member of the family Ranidae (true frogs), the genus is most likely Lithobates or Rana. I would need more pictures and information to its actual origin.

Jace

Wow-those poor frogs! Kudos for you for taking them in and getting them vet care and proper setups. I wish you all the best with them.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with Kurt, that looks like a species of Rana to me. It's certainly no toad that I've ever seen.

It resembles the River Frog (Rana heckscheri), but it's hard to tell. How big is it? Because it also looks similar to a juvenile Pig Frog (Rana grylio), which, when full grown are nearly as large as a bullfrog.

LyricAndTempo

The larger frog/toad... Right now he's about... 3 to 3.5 inches. He has large webbed feet on his back feet.

Here's a few more photo's I took from earlier.

Kurt

Well, the dorsolateral ridges rules out Lithobates grylio.

Nationality
    [United States]

Dang! Now you got me curious. It's tympanum looks too small to be a juvenile River Frog or Bullfrog. Also, the River Frog has a fairly dark underside with some light markings. From what I can see in the photos, it's underside appears fairly light colored.

What about a Dusky Gopher Frog (R. areolata aesopus)? Mature specimens are around 3 inches and since it was held at the pet shop for some time, it probably isn't a juvenile.

Thread Information