Thread: "Best" White's tree frog tank water setup and temperature control?

Shontovia

Default "Best" White's tree frog tank water setup and temperature control?

I have an idea of somewhere between a 20gal minimum for 1-3 (considering using my old bearded dragon tank 40gal breeder dimension that's been empty for some time, but it's longer and not much room to go up), but I want to know what experienced owners would recommend before I begin planning anything. Feel free to comment on anything you would recommend for a good setup, I'll be saving the info (I always make a notebook of sorts before bringing a new species home).

I also have been reading up on arrangements within the tank. A lot of people seem to like the lower area being either an inch of water or an aquarium with climbing space and a platform, but I've heard they're not strong swimmers and would be afraid of them drowning. Is there any point to this setup that is beneficial for the frog, besides helping humidity levels? I've also heard of the half and half, with a split bottom of a couple inches of water on one side with substrate on the other and still, adequate climbing space. I like that option best, but not sure if I want to mess with the acrylic barrier. I'm really on the fence right now.

It won't be a rush to get anything done or make any decisions since most of this will come probably after I move, and I have no idea when I'm moving yet. I don't have the space now, and the tanks I have (20gal and 40gal which I will be using for future reptiles / amphibians) are out in my shed collecting dust while I figure things out.

Last couple things, the 40gal IS disinfected and will be again. It also does hold water. I had fish in it when I was running my aquatics rescue and it did great. I also want opinions on heat lamps, because I haven't seen much about it and it sounds like a bad idea for an amphibian. Danger of drying out and killing them, plus water evaporating into the lamp. Accidentally moved my beardie's heat lamp over his water bowl once and now if you plug it up the whole house loses power. Sooo... in a humid, tropical tank? Bad idea, right? So how would I keep temperatures right?

EDIT: Also, do they enjoy being in groups (of the same size, of course)? Or does it not really matter?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

1-2 whites would need an 18x18x24 as adults. Thats about 33 gallons. 3 would require more space. The water at the bottom i have found from previous rearrangements just ends up making a big mess. I would not recommend using it like that. The humidity should be 40-60. In most places, that is household humidity although misting at least twice a day is required. A good basic setup is a water dish, a drainage layer with coco fiber or ABG mix(you will need to cover the abg mix as there are chunks in there that can cause impaction.) on top. A couple of plants. A cork background and sturdy vines for climbing. You could go for a more complex setup with live plants (sturdy like pothos or Aglaonema or Sansevieria). Here is a pic of my setup in the beginning it was just the minimum needed. Vivs evolve over time so if your initial setup is bland, you'll almost subconsciously find yourself making it better. And they really don't care about groups. Mine like to hang out at night but a single frog would do just fine by himself. I do like to keep frogs in groups when i can though.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Shontovia

Default Re: "Best" White's tree frog tank water setup and temperature control?

Thank you! I'm not worried about the actual plants and climbing areas, hiding scenario and whatnot. I always have fun with that, I'll do them justice. So 3 would be happy in a 40? And a decent enough water dish to soak in and not evaporate between refills (once or twice a day) would be good?

For financial reasons I'll probably start with one, but I want 3. If I find a good deal with breeders like LLLReptile or at a show I'll get a trio from the start so things are easier but we'll see. As long as they're all similar size they shouldn't be aggressive, I'm assuming? I've never heard any horror stories unless one could fit in the others' mouth.

Also, your habitat is very nice!
    Last edited by Shontovia; August 24th, 2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: forgot something

Nationality
    [United States]

A 40 breeeder? That won't be good enough. For 3 a 24 by 18 by 24 would be good. Thats 42 gallons. They need height more than floor space and the 40B doesnt offer enough height. I change mine every day only once. They never get in there during the day so i dont feel the need to change it twice. They don't get aggressive towards each other. Although one of mine bit the other once. Although she DID sit on him so she kinda deserved it. Its really more comical than anything else. They will be fine as long as the size difference isnt more than 1/2 inch maybe less
    Thanks

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Shontovia

Alright. That's fine with me, Ill probably use the 40 for another beardie, snake or gecko. I'll see if there's any nice vivariums that won't rob me blind and if not, I'll build one myself. So at least 2ft high is what I should be aiming for?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Shontovia

Man, would I like one of those!

Contrary to popular belief, white's are relatively good swimmers. I kept a pair in an 18x18x24 with 50% of the floor space being 4" deep of water. They used it more like a hot tub. My male would even do nightly "laps" in the pool area. It was comical to watch, to say the least.

If this is your first Viv, I would suggest keeping it a simple tank. You can always upgrade them to something else down the road. The 40b would actually work if you want to convert it to a vertical orientated tank. One of our mods, Paul, has an excellent how to on that conversion in the vivarium section.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Bill, that's how my greys are! The 4" deep water area that I built has made them very happy! A lot of times they just sit on the edge with half their body in the water and chill. At night, I've caught them swimming through it. They are much better swimmers than I'd have expected.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Shontovia

I guess it's just because they don't live in it people assume they're bad at it. I'll take a look! Conversion is a much cheaper option

Thread Information