Thread: Help..Little white mites on fruit fly container

Default Help..Little white mites on fruit fly container

I just purchased flies from petco the container had little white mites crawling all over it..I the sales rep said they aren't a problem but my gut thinks they are...I washed Down the container with water and sprayed some mite repellent on the container also....should I just throw this away and find a new store or is it ok?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Help..Little white mites on fruit fly container

Quote Originally Posted by gregcellent View Post
    I just purchased flies from petco the container had little white mites crawling all over it..I the sales rep said they aren't a problem but my gut thinks they are...I washed Down the container with water and sprayed some mite repellent on the container also....should I just throw this away and find a new store or is it ok?
    Hi Greg,

Well, the shop your purchased them from is highly incorrect, the Fruit Mite can actually wipe out an entire culture and more cultures. I have sterilised a tub before now with boiling hot water (you must her use any chemical with any Amphibian species, especially their potential food tubs) and they still come back. In all honesty get rid and find a new supplier, because keeping it with the other cultures will eventually cause another outbreak of them.

hope this helps,

Joshua

Thanks. I fed my frog a few from the container and then brought it outside. I'll just throw it away get more tomorrow. Thanks ...I hear they can be a really hard to get rid if they get lose in the house. Don't want that

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by gregcellent View Post
    I just purchased flies from petco the container had little white mites crawling all over it..I the sales rep said they aren't a problem...
    You just got to love the expert advice Petco gives in order to make a sale . Couple days ago one of them "experts" sold crickets sized as big as a member's baby frogs and told her it was OK for them to be same size as froglets .

Do keep that contaminated culture away from any others and do not make future cultures out of it. If mites where crawling out of it; there must be an infestation inside container .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

I don't know if there were any mites inside the container but they were crawling on the outside of every container the store had

awelcome

the cultures I got from my petco ended up with mites on them too... though they were black mites I think, not white that I recall. Anyway, I kept them on mite paper and never touching anything while I had them. I did make my other cultures myself from those and so far none on those containers show any signs of mites and they are doing well. I am sure they definitely can cause a problem, but I got lucky that they were at least only on the container and didn't effect those cultures or the ones I made from them that I can see. I do keep all cultures on the mite paper like I said and never touching though just in case. At 10 dollars a container from Petco, and needing flies to feed while I started my own cultures I just couldn't throw them away...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would toss any culture that had mites, You are just asking for a mite outbreak and to see all your frogs food suddenly be gone.

It is best to

1. Not buy any cultures that are showing signs it has mites

2. Buy cultures from reputable hobby sites. It not only supports the hobby, but nearly guarantees no mite or they will replace the culture for free.

If you setup a new culture from a culture with mites you are playing with fire.... So many horror stories of people who lost ALL their flies to mites.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Thread Information