Thread: Food size?

Yasmin

Default Food size?

Hello, My name is Yasmin, I am from England. I have recently bought an african clawed frog,an albino one, I think it is about 2 months old. It is living in a tank with 5 danio zebras. I am just wondering what size the pieces of food should be, because today, a piece of dried shrimp about 1cm long dropped into the tank and the little froggy grabbed it before I could, it was hanging out of his mouth for a while but after about 10 minutes he swallowed it. I am terrified incase it will kill him! ( I say him, i don't know if it's male or female I can't tell!) Will my little frog be ok? How big should the pieces of food be?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Food size?

Hello and welcome to FF Yasmin ! Food should be no larger than distance between frog's eyes. Also; freeze dried foods cause digestive issues in ACFs. More info on their care in here: http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...are-sheet.html. Just a heads up; as soon as your frog is big enough, it will try to eat the fish .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Yasmin

oh dear! the food was bigger! will it die? what can i do to help it?
    Thanks for the warning about the fish i will move the frog in the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello and welcome to FF Yasmin ! Food should be no larger than distance between frog's eyes. Also; freeze dried foods cause digestive issues in ACFs. More info on their care in here: http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...are-sheet.html. Just a heads up; as soon as your frog is big enough, it will try to eat the fish .

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Food size?

Hello welcome to the forum! The food isnt likely to kill him unless he choked, which i dont think he did. The biggest threat now is impaction. If you have an empty aquarium, isolate him in there with a bare bottom for a few days and look for poop. If after about a week he is pooping regularly and eating well and there are no noticeable bumps or hard places on the abdomen, then he will probably be fine. How much bigger was the food than the space between the eyes? In the wild, the frog would eat big stuff all the time. If they died every time that happened, we'd have no frogs left. Monitor him closely and just be careful the next time that the food isnt big. Good luck!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Yasmin

Thank you for the reassurance. I think it was about 4 or 5mm longer. The frog has been happily swimming around and I can't see any bulges. I don't have any gravel in the tank at the minute as I know it isn't safe for the frog. I will keep an I on the frog. I usually crush the food up but as I was doing it a chunk fell in the water and the little frog grabbed it before I could - it was only part of a shrimp. Can the frog eat fruit flies or not do you know?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Food size?

It can but a more likely situation would be that the frog doesn't notice it and the fly just pollutes the water. Frozen-not freeze dried, bloodworms are a good choice. Live bloodworms, blackworms, earthworms or nightcrawlers(cut up), and frog pellets are good choices. The earthworms are very nutritious as well (remembering they must be cut up for the frog). Variety is also important in the frogs diet.

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

Yasmin

The frog is fine. It didn't become impacted thankfully!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Food size?

Thats great to hear!

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Thread Information