Thread: AGTF help

Dube

Default AGTF help

ok so im new to this site as some of you read yesterday and i plan on getting PDF's but i was at work last night and say a **** ton of little green tree frogs assuming there american green tree frogs lol but i was thinking about catching one to add to my underconstruction "zoo room". anyone with info/knowledge on green tree frogs are more then welcome on teaching me a few things before i catch one of these awesome little dudes. thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default AGTF help

Before you decide to catch one, please give this thread a quickie read: http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=29212

Keep in mind that collecting a wild specimen has it's drawbacks. If could have parasites and or diseases which you don't really want to deal with. I know a "free frog" sounds great, but it's always better to buy captive bred specimens, even if it is a common frog, such as an AGTF.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: AGTF help

Id say wild animals deserve to be in a wild.

Dube

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Before you decide to catch one, please give this thread a quickie read: Taking in wild frogs.

Keep in mind that collecting a wild specimen has it's drawbacks. If could have parasites and or diseases which you don't really want to deal with. I know a "free frog" sounds great, but it's always better to buy captive bred specimens, even if it is a common frog, such as an AGTF.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    i did and i could buy anything it needs and i have time to care for it to ensure a good life but is it frowned upon in the hobby?? i am enjoying learning about different things and i got PDF's pretty much down ive been drawing out ideas for a PDF viv for about 4-5 months now and learned as much as i could before i got serious but id like to learn and watch theses guys but if its frowned upon ill only catch them for some pics to upload lol.. thanks guys

Nationality
    [United States]

Before you decide to catch one, please give this thread a quickie read: Taking in wild frogs.

Could not have said it better! Bill has offered great advice.

If you are interested in dart frogs........take your time
    Once you learn all about them, and get prepared et cetera ... they are not difficult to keep;
    assuming you have "done your homework"

There are so many beautiful species to chose from !

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

8. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Default AGTF help

It's not that it is "frowned upon" per se, just that all you are doing is taking one from the wild that won't be able to be returned once it's been in captivity for a while. And at the rate the cuban tree frog is taking over Florida, it's going to be a threatened species soon.

But here's the other issue. It's not a matter of buy stuff for it. When taking in a wild specimen, a fecal exam is an absolute must! So is swabbing for chytrid and mdb (?). So there's a few extra bucks. If any results come back positive, you have a vet visit in your future, along with meds.

Now, imagine you're sitting there saying bill's nuts, and you don't test them and unbeknownst to you, they DO have something and one day you handle them without gloves (because you ran our) and then put your hand in that pricey dart enclosure. A couple weeks later, your darts don't look good. Hmmmmm.......

I know that sounds exaggerated and melodramatic, but it is stuff that happens every day. Lija can tell you first hand what some bacteria can do to a household.

Honestly, buddy, hold him, have him say flies! take his pic and send him on his merry way

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Dube

It's not that it is "frowned upon" per se, just that all you are doing is taking one from the wild that won't be able to be returned once it's been in captivity for a while. And at the rate the cuban tree frog is taking over Florida, it's going to be a threatened species soon.

But here's the other issue. It's not a matter of buy stuff for it. When taking in a wild specimen, a fecal exam is an absolute must! So is swabbing for chytrid and mdb (?). So there's a few extra bucks. If any results come back positive, you have a vet visit in your future, along with meds.

Now, imagine you're sitting there saying bill's nuts, and you don't test them and unbeknownst to you, they DO have something and one day you handle them without gloves (because you ran our) and then put your hand in that pricey dart enclosure. A couple weeks later, your darts don't look good. Hmmmmm.......

I know that sounds exaggerated and melodramatic, but it is stuff that happens every day. Lija can tell you first hand what some bacteria can do to a household.

Honestly, buddy, hold him, have him say flies! take his pic and send him on his merry way

money isnt a problem for me im very lucky to get paid alot of money to sit on my rear end all day watching crazies but i totally understand what your getting at and since your one of the main reasons i decided to make a viv ill head your advice and just snap a few shots of the little guys. thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Could not have said it better! Bill has offered great advice.

If you are interested in dart frogs........take your time
    Once you learn all about them, and get prepared et cetera ... they are not difficult to keep;
    assuming you have "done your homework"

There are so many beautiful species to chose from !

lynn i have and i still am you can never stop learning but im confident in what i have learned that i could start in the very near future and you are also correct, and that sucks because i have no clue what PDF species i want yet lol..

Default AGTF help

Wow, that's a seriously overwhelming compliment! Thank you.

Sorry if I sounded "preachy", but I just recently lost the last of my mantellas that we wild caught (I was told they were cb), and never really acclimated to vivarium life. So I'm a bit down on collecting wild species.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Dube View Post
    i did and i could buy anything it needs and i have time to care for it to ensure a good life but is it frowned upon in the hobby??
    Yes it is frowned upon in a hobby for one reason only, wild animals as i said deserve to be wild. In Alberta, where i live it is illegal to keep native species, and i think these regulations should be everywhere. Buying captive bred animals you are receiving more adapted to live in captivity animals, healthier too. This way you also support the hobby and maintaining wild population where it belongs.

However if you still choose to keep such an animal, first thing you need to do is to find a vet who works with frogs. Then set up very strict quarantine enclosure, wear gloves every time, wash everything separately, disinfect everything every day.

You will need to get a frog tested immediately for chytrid, ranavirus and parasites and get them treated accordingly. Keep in mind it is illegal, as my american friends were saying, to release a frogs back in a wild. So if you decide to keep it you cant change your mind.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Dube

Wow, that's a seriously overwhelming compliment! Thank you.

Sorry if I sounded "preachy", but I just recently lost the last of my mantellas that we wild caught (I was told they were cb), and never really acclimated to vivarium life. So I'm a bit down on collecting wild species.

sorry for your loss bill that sucks ..

I'd bet that the majority of Hyla cinerea you see for sale are wild caught. If you decide on this species, and it's legal where you are, I would have no problems collecting from the wild. Collect as young as possible (even eggs if you can) and collect from an area you know has a thriving and healthy population. It can be done responsibly.

15. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

Default AGTF help

Thanks for that info Brian!!!

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri