Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Frogs Fruit Flies = Frustrating!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding Frogs Fruit Flies = Frustrating!

what i do is this- tap the jar so they fall to the bottom, get the lid off, tip it sideways OVER a small bucket-type container. i have calcium in the bottom of the bucket. not too much, maybe a tablespoon at most. when i get enough, i tap the ff jar and snap the lid on. i then take the bucket and swirl the ff in it. carry it up to my vivarium and hold it sideways while they all crawl out. i use my finger to scoot them out faster, and keep checking for any that might be stuck in the dust, and remove them as well. the bucket thingy is not very big, but it's WIDE, and they fall right in from the ff container. everyone does it differently, but this works for me, and no ff on the floor.
    1.0.0 Husband
    0.2.0 Chinese Crested Powder Puff dogs
    2.1.0 American Hairless Terrier dogs
    1.0.0 horses
    2.0.0 Eastern Gray Treefrogs
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Tinctorius Azureus
    2.3.0 rosy boas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Chelspaz View Post
    Attachment 72586It's just your basic frog starter kit that I got at Petsmart. I'm definitely planning on investing in something a bit bigger as the frogs themselves get bigger. but while they're small enough, this is working perfect.
    Hi
    Have you considered removing all of the moss ?
    (you don't want to ever feed them on the moss...because they can accidently eat it which can cause an impaction)

Replace the moss ( while they are little ) w/ dampened paper towels.
    Dampen the pt w/ de-chlorinated water.

I use these kind of - staging -'grow out' enclosures for froglets and for the QT of newly acquired dart frogs.

For example:

Name:  growouts 2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  94.3 KB Name:  growouts1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  93.6 KB Name:  photo 3 (90).jpg
Views: 196
Size:  87.4 KB

( these are a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium that comes with a glass lid for $12.00 from petsmart)
    shown- one with paper and one without the one without ( soil added) is used when they are old enough to find their food more easily on their own. These are housing R imitator 'varadero' froglets. These tanks come in plenty of sizes with lids of which you can add glass to.

Just a thought. This will enable you to monitor their food intake while they are still small.
    You would be able to add the flies directly into either type of these enclosures without removing them everyday for feeding.
    This will help to reduce the stress of handling the froglets frequently.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

4. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

Chelspaz

Thank you for your suggestions. I think my froglets are getting use to the routine we have and at the same time I'd like to believe this routine is also helping them get used to me handling them.

Default Feeding Frogs Fruit Flies = Frustrating!

Every time you remove those frogs from their enclosure, you are stressing them. Stress is one of the biggest causes of death in reptiles and amphibians. You may think they are "getting used to being handled", but I assure you, they are not. Feeding in the enclosure is the closest thing to them feeding in the wild and the least stressful for the frogs.

You've gotten a lot of great advice from some people with some SERIOUS amount of experience. It would behoove you to follow their advice. Doing otherwise would just be plain irresponsible to those little darlings you are keeping.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Been sitting here trying to think what else could be said and I don't really feel like there is anything else. You have been given some great advice by people I know, trust, and respect. The advice we offer is not something we will hold up in front of you and wave like a flag and state it is the end all be all way, but it is knowledge that is being imparted to you to help you better care for your amphibian friends. Our one goal... our Main goal is to arm you with the methods and techniques we use to successfully care for our frogs. We didn't invent most of them and we don't claim to have all the answers, but we do practice them on a daily basis and are constantly learning new and better ways to do things.

Handling your frogs is absolutely something you want to limit. We don't mean to appear like we are attacking you as a group, but more like we see a need to impart some knowledge to help you be successful with your frogs so we all are eager to rush in and help add our voice.

We won't judge you for how you choose to provide husbandry to your little friends, but we also won't give up on trying to course correct you from time to time.

We are always here to help, sometimes even when you don't want us to.

Paul
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

8. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Chelspaz

Lol I didn't say I wasn't listening to all of this advice. Was just voicing what I was thinking. I will try and figure out a way to feed them in their enclosure without it getting too messy. Otherwise, these flies, even coated in powder, obviously know how to get around and escape. I just don't want flies everywhere in my house.

Chelspaz

I guess I'm also afraid that if I throw a container of flies in my enclosure, my frogs might not get the memo that they actually have to go in the container or what have you. Or maybe I'm not understanding these instructions I'm given. What would really help me are pictures of how everyone is feeding their frogs the fruit flies. I'm a visual learner and it's hard for me to just read instructions and then go do it myself. Lol.

Chelspaz

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Hi
    Have you considered removing all of the moss ?
    (you don't want to ever feed them on the moss...because they can accidently eat it which can cause an impaction)

Replace the moss ( while they are little ) w/ dampened paper towels.
    Dampen the pt w/ de-chlorinated water.

I use these kind of - staging -'grow out' enclosures for froglets and for the QT of newly acquired dart frogs.

For example:

Name:  growouts 2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  94.3 KB Name:  growouts1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  93.6 KB Name:  photo 3 (90).jpg
Views: 196
Size:  87.4 KB

( these are a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium that comes with a glass lid for $12.00 from petsmart)
    shown- one with paper and one without the one without ( soil added) is used when they are old enough to find their food more easily on their own. These are housing R imitator 'varadero' froglets. These tanks come in plenty of sizes with lids of which you can add glass to.

Just a thought. This will enable you to monitor their food intake while they are still small.
    You would be able to add the flies directly into either type of these enclosures without removing them everyday for feeding.
    This will help to reduce the stress of handling the froglets frequently.

And speaking of pictures, I'll definitely keep this in mind. A $12 tank is affordable for me! Lol. I guess my only question with this is about air circulation. If it's all glass, including the top, is there still decent ventilation of the air in the aquarium? Do you just use the glass top when feeding so the flies don't get out, and maybe use a mesh top normally?

Nationality
    [United States]

Chelsea - When I do the video today of getting fruit flies into a cup I will also include feeding them to the frogs. I literally just dump them onto the tank.

One tip for keeping the flies MOSTLY in the same place is to bury a small piece of banana where you dump the flies, this will keep most of them there for your frogs to find.

Frogs feed off a trigger when they see movement. Adding the flies into a spot that is easy for them to see will draw them to the flies like moths to a flame

13. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Chelspaz

Thanks a lot DigitalPunk! I'll look forward to seeing your video.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I look forward to seeing it as well. I have been feeding newly hatched pinhead crickets to my Grey froglets. I have wondered about the FF but have not gotten them as of yet. I will have to get some before winter though. I have 2 baby Cricket frogs that I have been feeding Leaf Hoppers to and that will only last until the weather cools down... Thanks for sharing all this wonderful advice everyone! I enjoyed reading this thread!

16. This member thanks MsBlueRose for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh here it is. Fresh off the press. Hope if helps in some small way!

Our Fruit Flie Technique

Thanks

Paul

18. This member thanks DigitalPunk for this post:

Chelspaz

Thanks a bunch! Will watch it as soon as I'm back at home!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Chelspaz View Post
    And speaking of pictures, I'll definitely keep this in mind. A $12 tank is affordable for me! Lol. I guess my only question with this is about air circulation. If it's all glass, including the top, is there still decent ventilation of the air in the aquarium? Do you just use the glass top when feeding so the flies don't get out, and maybe use a mesh top normally?
    For your froglets you might consider the purchase of a little larger tank , say 5 gallons.
    You can purchase a screen lid of which will have to be modified to keep the humidity in.

This can be done by covering more than 3/4 of the top with some kind of plastic.
    I think I have even used the wide 'scotch brand type ' clear packing tape . Believe it or not, it holds up well to the humidity. You could tape plastic across the top as well.

The photos show are an example of one used for dart frogs ( the top is completely glass)
    w/ some very small holes on both sides of the rim that allow some air in .

These will work for you but I think the 5 gallon could work to your advantage since your frogs are larger......whereby allowing for some 'growing room'. Either way you will opening-up often enough not to worry about it.

If you are feeding frogs fruit flies .....it's inevitable some will escape.
    After a little practice- you will be able to get the little buggers in there without so many getting away on you.

I wrap a ( non zip lock baggies) around the opening of the fruit fly culture container and gently tap them into the bag/then dust/ then feed.

Think about getting prepared to begin to offer them pinhead crickets as they will need to graduate to crickets as a main feeder source soon. Pinhead crickets are typically a mail -order item. You will find them at Josh's Frogs. ( I believe the link is in prior posts). Small cricket are at pet shops, but not pinheads. Remember the feeder should not be larger that the space between the frogs eyes.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

awelcome

another little thing.... and this may only be true for me/some. My frog knows when it's time to feed and will wait for me at the spot. I feed him the same time every day, it's also the time I put the lights on. He waits patiently for me there and I open the front part of my enclosure to tap the flies literally right in front of him. He is used to this and just waits for me to do that and then goes to town. Then when he gets most of those I tap a bit more (3/4 times til I give him all I shook out which is around 60-80 flies typically). Could you put something in your tank that offers you a flat surface to feed on? A rock or piece of wood perhaps, and then start a routine they might learn so t hey can be there waiting when it's time? With this method very few get away and wander around the tank throughout the day. If I can manage I will try to get a video of it soon perhaps to show you how I do it.

awelcome

Ok, rather than wait til tomorrow, I decided to just give my little piggy a bonus feeding today and take a quick video. Obviously I would do things slightly different in the mornings, using more flies, and feeding in parts like I mentioned, but for this I only gave him a few (like maybe 20). I count and watch him eat, partially just because I find it interesting and also to make sure I am giving enough/not too many flies since I am still getting my routine set and I find it hard to estimate flies sometimes. Once he's done eating I will usually then spray the log down with my dechlorinated water to wash away any extra powder that ended up in there, which isn't usually much. I was a litlte sloppy for this video to get it done faster so it didn't end up a long video. Sorry, hope the angles are ok... I HATE being on camera and said NO face shots, but I had my husband video and I noticed sometimes he has my hand blocking the view, but you get the idea. If you are still unclear about part of it though feel free to ask, or I can attempt another video for a full feeding tomorrow still if you want. Here it is... super simple.

Chelspaz

Thank you guys for all the videos! Paul's video had so many fruit flies and they were all getting away in the enclosure, I was just urging that frog to eat them all up before they went to hide! Lol.

awelcome, you have the exact same enclosure as I do, lol. It was cool to see your video too.

Both videos were really helpful to just see with my eyes what everyone seems to be doing. I'm still really afraid to open my culture all the way like Paul does, lol. When I was modifying my lid like awelcome did, I had my husband tap the flies in the container while I was making the cuts in the top and I was so nervous the whole time, lol. We did good though as a team. :P

I bought a 10 gal aquarium today, it was super cheap and 10 gal isn't too big either. I'm going to set up the aquarium for my guys to grow and get bigger like Lynn did and put the layer of damp paper towels down and some plants in there. I'm too exhausted to do everything I need to tonight, so will feed my frogs as I have been, and tomorrow everything will be set up. I will post pictures.

I also want to try the banana under the paper towel thing to keep the flies attracted to one spot. Seems like a cool idea.

Thanks EVERYONE for EVERYTHING! Seriously!!

Chelspaz

Okay so I tried putting the powder and flies into one cup, rolling them around, and neatly trying to pour them into another container to separate them from the powder and it did NOT work. Lmao! There's still chunks of powder in there. I feel like I have to pick each and every fruit fly out to just get them without the extra powder. Everyone makes this look so easy!!! Lol!

awelcome

I keep the cup basically horizontal when going from cup one to cup two and tap and the flies are heavier and moving so they make their way out first. Some powder goes along, but it's not enough to matter. It does take a little practice though.

awelcome

Paul's were moving so fast and there were so many... was making me nervous too lol. He has more frogs than I do, so I get that there has to be more flies, but I would definitely want to do stages with that many flies lol. I also think which supplement you are using makes a difference.... the vitamin supplement doesn't weigh the flies down as much for me as the calcium one.... I like the calcium days (what I used in that video) because they almost stay where I put them entirely. When using the vitamin supplement they do move a little more, but for some reason, perhaps because it's off the ground, they do stay mostly on that piece of wood I use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information