Thread: RETF help

Zyndyna

Default RETF help

I just recently bought a Red Eye Tree Frog and I have some questions and concerns. First off I bought a 18x18x12 terrarium for him. I used coco husk as my base layer and then covered the top with moss. I have a mix of live plants and some fake vines. I don't have a whole lot in there yet. I have a humidty meter and I try and keep it between 70-80%. So one of my concerns is he seems to sleep all the time. I know I hard him one night hopping around because he accidentally hit the top of the terrarium and woke me up lol. But he is always in the almost same position every morning and when I go to bed at night around 11 he is still asleep. Is this normal? I seen on another page here that using a cricket bowl helps so you know if he is eating which makes sense but what keeps the little devils from escaping? Also I read some where that his cage should be tore apart and cleaned every two weeks? So does this mean I need to get new substrate and replant the plants every two weeks? Thanks for your help I am sure I am just being a worry wart.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: RETF help

Do you mean his viv is 12 inches HIGH? If so, that is way way too short. They do sleep all day, they are nocturnal. Mine sleep in the same spots every single day, so sometimes it looks as if they haven't moved. Can you share some pics so we can get an idea of what is going on? I bowl feed my tree frogs, I like it because I can monitor how much they're eating, the crickets are less likely to be running around my house, and my frogs will not accidentally eat something they shouldn't. If the bowl is at least 1.5 inches tall, they should not escape it. Make sure the crickets are no bigger than the space between his eyes. What are your temps?

How long have you had him? He should be in a quarantine enclosure until you're sure he's healthy. That would be a plain tank with 3 sides covered, damp unprinted paper towel as substrate that's changed every 1-2 days, a water dish with dechlorinated that is cleaned daily, and maybe a branch and a plant in there for places to hide.

Here is a care sheet - Frog Forum - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

4. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Zyndyna

No it's 18 inches high and like 12 inches wide. I have not gotten a thermometer yet. Ok I wasn't aware of froggy quarantine. He is by himself. I have only had him since Saturday. so not even a week yet. I will try and get some pics and post them.

Zyndyna

Ok how do I add photos? I clicked the photo button and upload and no luck. Nm lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [United States]

That size of tank will be suitable for one Red Eye, but if you plant to add more you will want to upgrade to a 18x18x24, 24x18x24, or 24x18x24. All sizes are Width x Depth x Height.

Very cute, I love Reds!
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

Default RETF help

[QUOTE=
    Very cute, I love Reds![/QUOTE]

But they don't seem very fond of you but don't worry they'll come around eventually

All i can say is that your tank looks good and your frog has a beautiful bright green color. You may want to add a couple more hiding places. Also, be careful with the moss as swallowing it might cause impaction. This can be avoided if you bowl feed, feed with round feeding tongs, or hand feed.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [Canada]

As Eli had said, Ditch the moss and see if you van get some branches for your red
    eye, they sometimes will clime hand over hand like monkeys
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Zyndyna

I have a 20 gallon long that my whites is in . But I didn't think that would be good for my RETF because it isn't a tall. I thought about getting a second whites. Would the 20 be good enough for that? I had a hard time finding my one RETF so I figure I wont get another for awhile. Thanks for yall's help. So is it normal for him to be a froggy vampire and sleep so much? He actually opened his eyes this morning and looked at me then went right back to sleep.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default RETF help

White's are also nocturnal, just like the red eyes. But they are also tree frogs and need just as much height as the red eyes. For two, when they are adults, an 18x18x24 is required. I would suggest either a 12x12x18 or 18x18x18 for one while they are still young

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

If the frog is in quarantine, I would definitely ditch the moss for now and just use dampened paper towels that you change every day. This way, you don't have the risk of the frog seeing a cricket that has been hiding for a while, jumping down to eat it, and accidentally eating some moss and becoming impacted. Once you have him bowl fed and/or once his quarantine time is over (3 weeks to a month is recommended) you can place the moss back in.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It IS normal for them to sleep all day. While they're adjusting, they may sleep several days straight. 20 gallon long is not suitable for a white's tree frog unless it is converted into a vertical. The red eye's tank size is sufficient unless you want to add more, as Paul said.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thread Information