Thread: Crickets and Calcium dust

plumpydumpy

Exclamation Crickets and Calcium dust

I have 4 dumpy tree frogs in an Exo terra 18 x 18 x 24 terrarium I feed them 30 crickets a week by dumping them in their cage and letting them roam. Yes I feed the crickets a day before I feed them to my frog. i usually put flukers orange cube stuff in for the crickets to eat. Or I will put carrots and blueberries or what ever I can find in their feeder tank. I dust them and throw them in the frog tank. My problem is the calcium keeps coming off their bodies after awhile. They also like hiding in my frog tree log so it takes my frogs awhile to see them . By the time

they see them. The crickets have either lost the calcium dust or are all mostly hiding away. I throw cricket food in the frog tank also so they don't chew my 3d background up and kill my frogs due to frogs eating digested styrofoam. Is there a better way to give my frogs calcium? If I only had one or two frogs i would hand feed them and it wouldn't be a problem but that sadly isn't an option because there are so many of them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Crickets and Calcium dust

First you need to stop using the Fluker's Orange cubes; it's a bad product from a good company. Gut load your crickets with lettuce, carrots, and cherios. You need to use couple glass feeder bowl(s) to place your dusted crickets in. That way the frogs can pick them up before supplement falls off. Need to adjust the number of feeders to what the frogs actually eat and monitor one frog does not overeat while another one goes hungry. Gail gave you some pointers in your previous thread.

Here are a couple dusting schedules to play with: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

That enclosure size is small for 4 adult White's; they could use all of a 36x18x36 ET. It's very important to meet their temperature, basking, humidity and ventilation requirements; more of that in here; Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Default Crickets and Calcium dust

Part of the problem is you have too many white's in that tank!! 4? Way too many!! 2 is pushing it for that size enclosure.

If you plan on keeping that many in the tank, I would suggest feed lighter. You only want to feed as many as the frogs will eat in a few hours. Instead of feeding 30/ week, go with 10 every other day.

Prepare to be bombarded with more comments about the quantity of frogs in that enclosure, btw.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri