Thread: Aggressive pacman

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Aggressive pacman

Hi. A few months ago my room mate bought a female pacman that was about 4" from snout to vent (at least). The pet store didn't know what they were going and only fed the poor thing mice, and bi-monthly. Sometimes it didn't want it so they basically would starve it for another week so it would be hungry again for it.

Now of course its on a better diet of night crawlers and crickets and hopefully soon Dubai. This thing lunges viciously at anything that moves within a foot of it. We have to pick it up by scooping from underneath gently with an object. If some water dribbles on it while I mist it does a 360 hop to face it and stares up toward it and often bites it. Mistaking for prey I guess. Even walking by the terrarium sometimes triggers a lunge. She has jumped in our direction and hung by her tongue against the glass while it slowly lost suction and she slid down.

Is she stuck this way?

My male I could pick up when needed but a couple days ago when I took him out to clean the tank he nibbled me to. As he's gotten bigger he responds faster to food. He lean upwards eagerly when I dangle a worm.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Aggressive pacman

Normal Pacman behavior in response to a "possible predator" that in their instincts means them harm. Some have it more pronounced that others; but it's the way it is. Recommend get some long (12 in. plus) plastic tipped stainless tongs.

Are you feeding frog to satiation every couple days? Maybe it's trying tot tell you it's hungry. Also, never approach any Pacman or large frog like an ABF from the front, it could result in a nasty bite .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

I agree that this sounds like a normal defense or feeding response (probably a bit of both). It's possible that the pet shop may have instigated this lunging behavior and that's why she is more ready to respond. Fortunately, as you know, pacman's require minimal handling so it shouldn't be an issue very often.
    Like Mentat says, never approach an ambush predator from the front! I'd recommend using a cup or small container when picking her up. Just put the container in front of her and then gently touch her rump to have her jump in. If that's not working you may want to use some gardening gloves when you need to handle her.
    I recommend getting the forceps that Mentat mentioned and offering her food this way. Never offer anything by hand (you probably know this) which would encourage hand biting. Sounds like she's got a nice feeding response, though, and a healthy appetite so congrats!

Also, I wish I could've seen her hanging by her tongue from the glass. I'm sure it was a bit unpleasant for her, but I imagine quite amusing for you.

Nationality
    [United States]

Normal behavior for a pac. Do you have plenty of hiding places for her in the cage? You could also cover three sides of the cage with a solid background of some sort. If she has hiding spots and can't see too much of what's going on in the room around her she'll probably stop lunging at the glass when people walk by. Some of them are always aggressive when there's food near.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Canada]

I don't really have a hiding spot for her. My tomatoes have a artificial medium sized turtle shell and a coconut hut. Trying to find something big enough for her to hide in. And yes, I use 12" long plastic tipped tongs for feeding her worms The lunge against the glass was like a Saturday morning cartoon haha but I felt bad at the time. Thanks for the tips!

Nationality
    [United States]

I recently picked up a tri-color fantasy about a week or two ago from an expo and he's got a voracious appetite himself Even though he's a little guy and should be fed every day he does the same thing, lunges at anything he particularly see's as "food." I can only assume that the way the breeder fed these little guys is what's responsible for the more aggressive nature. Much like yours he's also highly aware of his surroundings, including what's outside his carrier. I've placed my container of worms right next to his carrier and he was so eager, jumping at the side of his carrier trying to get closer to the worms outside.

My green cranwelli is so much more docile in terms of being hyper lazy. I have to practically bounce worms into her mouth for her to eat if she doesn't try to drag food back towards her hole.

As for the little guy, I actually accidentally banged him against the side of his small carrier out of surprise because he lunged and latched onto the actual tong instead of the worm I had gripped >_<. He still attacks the tongs but he responds to worms moving in front of his face as well, well. Floating in front of his face as I hold them. Still in the process of training him to grapple the food rather than me just having to drop it in front of him.

I can say that I do appreciate having a pacmans with polar opposite personalities.

Nationality
    [United States]

I wouldn't use gardening gloves. Nothing cloth or leather should be used to handle them. Clean washed hands or rubber gloves no other material.

Thread Information