Thread: Not eating

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kayraex

Angry Not eating

I got a pacman frog awhile ago and he seemed to be perfectly fine until about 2 weeks into owning him we noticed he wasn't pooping so we called our exotic vet who said he could have been impacted and they helped us get him back to normal. He is back to pooping regularly for 3 days but now he won't eat. He is housed in a 10 gallon tank, his temperature stays at 78-82 in the day time and drops down to 70-74 at night and his humidity stays at 80%. When he was eating he would eat night crawlers and crickets, we have calcium and amphibian vitamins that we give him, we also treat his water before it is put into his tank. Does anyone have any advice on getting him to eat? The only information I have found on this says to force feed and we don't want to do that if we can try other options first.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Not eating

Hi and welcome to the forum!

please answer ALL these questions.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

Based on info you provided your temps are way too low, you need 76-78 night, 80-82 day. Do not force feed just yet, lets figure out what went wrong first. Post a pics of a frog and its enclosure for us to evaluate the situation. Thank you!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Kayraex

1. 10 gallon
    2. 1 juvenile albino pacman frog
    3. 80% humidity
    4. 78-82 day 70-74 night
    5. We use treated tap water for both soaking and misting
    6. cocofiber
    7. 3 fake plants, water area filled with rocks
    - All things were disinfected in hot water with reptile/amphibian safe disinfectant
    9. Calcium carbonate, herptivite multivitamins, calcium with d3, regular calcium is used every other feeding, d3 every two feedings and multivitamins twice a week.
    10. Regular incandescent desk lamp
    11. UTH on the side controlled by a thermostat
    12. Last ate 4 days ago
    13. Found poop today
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. My frog was recently impacted but is now better and acting normal
    16. Not sure the age.
    17. I've had him for 1 month
    18. Captive bred
    19. Nightcrawlers and crickets are the staple diet, have tried pinkies and wax worms but he wont eat them.
    20. Handled only when a bath is needed and to clean the tank
    21. High traffic area but 3 out of 4 sides of the tank are covered
    22. I change his water every night, his substrate every two weeks( includes removing all plants and rocks to be deep cleaned), I clean his poop every morning and wipe down his tank daily.
    Name:  frogggg.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  81.5 KBName:  CAM00202.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  74.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you!

ok as i mentioned temp you gotta correct, and do it asap! It is very dangerous to keep pacman frogs at 70 for any period of time. I see it as an only problem of him not eating, as well i would cover more of the sides, i see half of a back and right side are not covered. You havent specified his size, but i would estimate he is no bigger then 2", am i right? If so the tank itself, while is good for an adult frog, is too big for a baby., you can make it more cozy for a guy, perhaps hang a plant or two.

Now... Lets talk water area it is not needed in that size....Rocks are screaming "big problems" when he is older and can ingest it..... How are you changing his water?

Otherwise - good job!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Kayraex

I'm gonna make sure to keep it warmer in there, I took off the side and back paper covering to let light in so the pictures would turn out better. I dump out all of his water and use the amphibian disinfectant to clean all of the rocks and the area where his water goes. I already have larger rocks and tiles to take place of the smaller rocks once he gets bigger. The only reason we made the water the way it is was because he had trouble getting in and out of his first water dish so we figured this would be much easier for him and he seems to love it, he uses it a lot. So do you think once the temperatures stay higher he will want to eat more? Is there anything else I can do that will make him want to eat?

Nationality
    [Canada]

There are ceramic pot dishes, the ones you put under plant pots, i think for 1$ at walmart, they are perfect size, you can get one now in a size that works, and upgrade it as the guys grows.

Yes, correct temps are the key. At these temps he is not able to digest food, that is why probably had impaction in a first place, but also you are looking in to a serious heath problems.

You can also do a honey bath for him, warm treated water with a few drops of honey, water level no higher then his chin, keep him in there fur 20 min, then follow bath (same water lavel) with 10:1 ratio treated water:unflavoured pedialyte.,keep for another 15-20 min and put him in a warm tank. Then give him some time to adjust to changed and try food.

Thread Information