Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Green or White's Treefrog / Litoria caerulea caresheet

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Post Green or White's Treefrog / Litoria caerulea caresheet

Our third care and information sheet is for White's Treefrog, known to Australians as the Green Treefrog, Litoriea caerulea. It was written by our very own Kurt Kunze. It can be found here.

Please use this thread to discuss/debate/argue/change the care and information sheet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Billy

Default Re: Green or White's Treefrog / Litoria caerulea caresheet

Cool! Hey, John, I know I promised that I'd do the sheet on FBTs, I'll have it to you soon. I'm still working on it. I'll hopefully have one for Bufo melanostictus sometime soon also.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Thanks Billy, I really appreciate it. I'm working the Gray Treefrog sheet - Kurt did some good work on it already and gave it to me to put in breeding info and photos.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Our third care and information sheet is for White's Treefrog, known to Australians as the Green Treefrog, Litoriea caerulea. It was written by our very own Kurt Kunze. It can be found here.

Please use this thread to discuss/debate/argue/change the care and information sheet.
    Hi,

Thanks Kurt, very useful article.

Just a comment/ask for opinion - when researching a paper recently, I came to the conclusion that the preferred current name is Pelodryas caerulea. These names change so often nowadays it's difficult to be sure, and it appears to be one of those cases where not everyone agrees, but the consensus seemed to be for Pelodryas. Have I missed something more recent, or do you have any specific thoughts on that?

Best wishes,

Bruce.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I can't speak for Kurt but given the recent tendency of scientists to split first and ask questions later, I've become very sceptical of new taxonomy changes. The wise course seems to be to follow amphibiaweb.org's course, since many of the world's foremost herpetologists (real ones, scientists, not amateurs) are advisers on that site. Amphibiaweb still uses Litoria.

Kurt

You're welcome. I use Litoria for the same reason you use Pelodryas, it seems to be the general consensus. Personally, however, I rather use Pelodryas for caerulea as it seems to be built quite differently from other members of the genus Litoria, such as infrafrenata and chloris. Also there this whole subfamily name thing, Pelodryadinae. It seems weird to have a subfamily in where there are no frogs bearing the genus name Pelodryas.
    So in conclussion, if it were up to me I would place caerulea and splendida back into the genus Pelodryas.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks!

Kurt

You're welcome

IgbyKibbits

Quick question regarding the information on the PH level of the water. My tank is half water/half land (split bottom). The ph balance is running around 7.0 to 7.2; all water added is treated with the appropriate amount of reptisafe water conditioner, and then filtered continuously through a tank waterfall (that has insert filters inside). So, from the article (thanks by the way!), I know it's bad to have a ph level lower than 6.8. What's the high range that I should be on the look out for?

Thanks!

Kurt

A pH of 6.8 is ideal. A pH below 6.4 or lower can be harmful, especially if kept at these levels for extended periods. While at the same time a pH above 7.0 can allow for the toxicty of ammonia. Below 7.0 ammonia become ammonium, a much less toxic substance.

IgbyKibbits

Thanks Kurt for the quick reply! Tonight was our thorough tank cleaning, so it was good to have the information going in so we could check the new water appropriately!

wosborne

Its been a while since I have visited the forums. Are the care-sheets gone or relocated?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

There's a big yellow sign on the cover of the web site explaining this. There's also a post here: http://www.frogforum.net/forum-quest...e-working.html
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

wosborne

hee hee. Sorry about that. It's kinda like trying to put something together without reading the directions first!

Again, my apologizes.

Jackson

hey guys im deciding between a chubby frog and a dumpy frog. help me decide please

DisguisedMadness

One thing I didn't really see is what their temp and humidity should be at. I'm really a beginner owner. I've had my frogs for 3 years, but was never able to get a proper tank and environment for them until now.

En333

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    hey guys im deciding between a chubby frog and a dumpy frog. help me decide please

DUMPY DUMPY DUMPY!!! I love my whites and he's awesome. They're pretty easy to care for, really fun to play, and just plain awesome! They are very hardy too. One the hardiest frogs! I have little one named Kirby. Everyone in a while I'll take him out and play, he'll climb wires if you let him! Just keep a good eye on it and he won't get hurt or sick. But ya, easy care, fun play, really hardy, GO DUMPIES!!! Woot woot haha o and they're really cute :P

Sue H

The care sheet doesn't mention heat-humidity guidelines? Also lighting? Do they need UVB? I bought a repti-sun 2.0, do they need it or just the infrared?

pansie

I have heard that its better to keep more than 1 WTF. Is that true or false?

froginater

Hey i just got a whites tree frog baby about 1 inch and i was wondering how often i should be feeding him? also my tank is currently 80f is that too hot ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information