Thread: New terrarium for my male ABF, help me guys!

Default New terrarium for my male ABF, help me guys!

Hi guys, i bought a new tank for my male, a Juwel Rio 180 (101 l x 41 d x 50h cm), and im working on it to transform in a perfect terrarium:

i just put a piece of glass to create 2 parts: water one and earth one.Name:  IMG_2795.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  43.4 KB

of course I have to clean the smears of silicone

i have a question: it makes sense to put a grate and balls under the ground? or just put coconut fiber?

how many watts of power for the heating lamp?

is it good using the juwel neon to enlight the terrarium? they can also help wit warming right?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New terrarium for my male ABF, help me guys!

Yes you will want to do some form of drainage layer. Using Clay balls is a very common practice, you will need some material that will let water and air pass through, but not the soil.

The heating lamp wattage will vary based on your enclosure size and how much ventilation your tank will have.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

False bottoms or drainage layers are normally used in vivariums to raise the plant substrate above the maximum water line. ABFs and plants don't mix well unless you create a background of sorts and hang epiphytes from it to keep them away from frog's reach.

First thing you want to make sure is that there are no leaks from wet to dry area. Otherwise your dry side will become a bacteria breeding bog; drainage layer or not. Second, have to consider the ABF digging abilities and ensure the plastic window screen between lecca and shredded coco can't be dislodged by frogs activities. IMO building a false bottom with an ABG or any other large diggers is not worth the effort.

Recommend ensuring there are no leaks in your glass dam and go with a plain bottom on dry side. Spot cleaning of poop, and a monthly substrate replacement should do for maintenance on dry side.

Paul answered your question on heating. I like to use Ceramic Heat Emitters (60W) on a dome with a dimmer. When asking opinions on a product (Jewel Neon) it helps to include a description since many of us have no idea what it is . Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    Yes you will want to do some form of drainage layer. Using Clay balls is a very common practice, you will need some material that will let water and air pass through, but not the soil.

The heating lamp wattage will vary based on your enclosure size and how much ventilation your tank will have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    False bottoms or drainage layers are normally used in vivariums to raise the plant substrate above the maximum water line. ABFs and plants don't mix well unless you create a background of sorts and hang epiphytes from it to keep them away from frog's reach.

First thing you want to make sure is that there are no leaks from wet to dry area. Otherwise your dry side will become a bacteria breeding bog; drainage layer or not. Second, have to consider the ABF digging abilities and ensure the plastic window screen between lecca and shredded coco can't be dislodged by frogs activities. IMO building a false bottom with an ABG or any other large diggers is not worth the effort.

Recommend ensuring there are no leaks in your glass dam and go with a plain bottom on dry side. Spot cleaning of poop, and a monthly substrate replacement should do for maintenance on dry side.

Paul answered your question on heating. I like to use Ceramic Heat Emitters (60W) on a dome with a dimmer. When asking opinions on a product (Jewel Neon) it helps to include a description since many of us have no idea what it is . Good luck !
    thank you all guys!

ok, so no grill in earth side...

what do you mean with plain bottom?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by arci90 View Post
    thank you all guys! ok, so no grill in earth side...what do you mean with plain bottom?
    I mean, myself would let the enclosure bottom glass be the dry section bottom. You can build a drainage layer if you want; but have to make it sturdy enough to withstand an ABF digging efforts.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    I mean, myself would let the enclosure bottom glass be the dry section bottom. You can build a drainage layer if you want; but have to make it sturdy enough to withstand an African Bullfrog digging efforts.
    mmm ok...but in water part i thought to use some aqaurium gravel, is it ok? in earth part whats the best thing to do? the ideal one i mean...

news Name:  IMG_2879.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  56.0 KBName:  IMG_2877.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  122.5 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

You wanna take the gravel out, if ingested it may end up very badly, you can put big rocks instead, big enough for adult frog not to ingest. And you need to cover 3 sides of the enclosure. i like the idea though!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    You wanna take the gravel out, if ingested it may end up very badly, you can put big rocks instead, big enough for adult frog not to ingest. And you need to cover 3 sides of the enclosure. i like the idea though!
    so i have to buy enormous gravel!?

what do you mean cover 3 sides? frog hates glasses around him?

Well, you don't need any gravel really. Speaking from experience, it will make cleaning up much more difficult, especially since you do not appear to have filtration of any kind.
    What I did was simply place large, flat rocks in my water area instead. Easier to keep clean.

I think Lija is suggesting to cover three sides of the tank with something (like an aquarium background for example) to help the frog feel more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Well, you don't need any gravel really. Speaking from experience, it will make cleaning up much more difficult, especially since you do not appear to have filtration of any kind.
    What I did was simply place large, flat rocks in my water area instead. Easier to keep clean.

I think Lija is suggesting to cover three sides of the tank with something (like an aquarium background for example) to help the frog feel more secure.
    1) ok ill put some large rocks in water area and i will remove gravel

2) is it ok if i only cover back one? or i have really to cover all 3 ?

3) the water level, how much has to be? (are there any risks of drowning for the frog?)

Nationality
    [Canada]

1. Ok
    2. You can, but covering 3 sides will help the guy feel safer.
    3. They can in theory, but i have never heard of any pixie drowning, they are pretty good swimmers. You can put a rock in a middle for the guy to rest, i bet he'll love it.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Carlos and Lija have you covered.

As for drowning, yes they can drown. They are not fully aquatic nor are they really semiaquatic. They will spend a lot of time in water when available in the wild. As long as he/she has an easily accessable ramp of large stone leading out of the water the frog will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Carlos and Lija have you covered.

As for drowning, yes they can drown. They are not fully aquatic nor are they really semiaquatic. They will spend a lot of time in water when available in the wild. As long as he/she has an easily accessable ramp of large stone leading out of the water the frog will be fine.
    Now that the ground is much wider and deeper, the frog is always sunk and it seems more static than before, is it any good?

Thread Information