Thread: ACF is injured or sick!

Andi Eisele

Default ACF is injured or sick!

My female albino ACF's left eye is extremely swollen and is kind of protruding from her head. I took her to the local vet, but they don't have any experience with exotic frogs. From what I read I think it may be a bacterial infection and told the vet as much, so they've given me a syringe of an antibiotic to drop onto her head and eyes once each day for 10 days. Is this going to help her? Is it an infection? It's red at the base of her eye and her other eye is starting to exhibit the same signs, plus there are a few small spots on her that seem like sores. Please, any advice would be great if I can save her from discomfort or from dying. There are no specialty shops around for me to buy anything from for her either.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: ACF is injured or sick!

Hello Andi! I'm very sorry your frog is not well . Please continue the vet given treatment (what is antibiotic?) and answer the below listed questions to try and figure out what caused the issue.

In the meantime do complete a 25% water change with same temperature dechlorinated tap and get some Melafix and Pimafix. Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?

7. Substrate type?

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

12. When is the last time frog ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog?

17. How long have you owned him/her?

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)?

20. Any salt in water (how much)?

21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).

By Lynn(flybyferns), GrifTheGreat, and aquatic questions added by Carlos(Mentat)
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Andi Eisele

There are no pet stores in the town we just moved to, I will order the melafix and pimafix online.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)? Tank is 10 gallons, 8inches of water.

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish? 2, the ACF and a pleco

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments? Tap water and Aqueon water conditioner

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)? water temp is 72 degrees f and is heated via a Rena 100w submersible smart heater.

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Water levels are all within acceptable range.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media? Filter system is an Aqueon whisper system with activated charcoal filter.

7. Substrate type? Gravel

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank? Live plants, include dwarf grass and sword plant.

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed? Tubifex worms, sun dried brine shrimp, and xenopus premium frog food pellets.

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)? None.

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used? Lights are usually off with only indirect natural light during the day.

12. When is the last time frog ate? 2 days ago.

13. Have you found poop lately? Yes, but not sure on when she last had a bm.

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine). See included pictures.

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. Her left eye is swollen and protruding slightly from her head with some discoloration of the eye and a red discoloration at the base of the eye area. There also appears to be a small red spot on the top side of her head. Belly color is normal and shows no signs of abnormality that I can tell.

16. How old is the frog? As far as I can tell she is still less than a year old.

17. How long have you owned him/her? We've had her for approx. 5 months.

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred? Captive bred.

19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)? No medications in the water, but the vet gave me an antibiotic to put on her head and eyes once a day for 10 days called Baytril.

20. Any salt in water (how much)? None.

21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area? Medium traffic area.

22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.). Media changes as needed, cleaning and water changes every other week unless water seems to need it sooner.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That gravel is an impaction hazard if frogs swallows it while eating. We recommend bare bottoms or using fine sugar sized sand.

The Pleco is a risk if frog tries to swallow it and is just adding more biomass to an already small tank.

Stop using the charcoal while medicating; it removes meds from water.

You can add some aquarium or Kosher salt to tank (1 TBS per 5 gal.). Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information