Thread: Feeding habits vary?

Frogsaurus

Default Feeding habits vary?

Hello everyone! I'm having trouble figuring out if my Ornate Pac-Man frog is feeding correctly. When he was a juvenile (about 6 months old at the time of purchase) he ate heartily. Now after a trip to the vet we've confirmed he's a boy and he's reached his adult size around 5 inches long/round. His diet consists of ZooMed pac-man food pellets and nightcrawlers.

However I am finding myself surprised by his odd eating patterns. He was only eating a single pellet or a single worm and then turning away from the offered food earlier this last week. I kept him on a strict every other day feeding to prevent impaction or obesity since he first came home. Ex If I feed him on Wednesday then the next feeding is on Friday.

After feeding him today I was surprised to find him wiling to eat an entire adult nightcrawler and 3 balls of pellet food! He's acting more like his usual hungry self.

The temperature has been pretty warm around here and he stays plenty moist from daily mistings. The tank stays around 78-86 degree and around 87 degree humidity.

My question is, is it normal for Ornate Pac-Man frogs to have variations in how much they eat during a routine feeding? I'm probably worrying too much but he is my first amphibian!

Ad I've tried other various foods for him including dubia roaches and mealworms. He wanted nothing to do with them!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding habits vary?

Frogsaurus
    Please stand by
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

Lynn lol

yes, it is perfectly normal for them to slow down on food as they mature, they dont need to grow anymore and they dont waste much energy either. Some may eat once a week, some may go off food for a few weeks, some may eat a few time a week. As long as you feed proper food items, like nightcrawlers, keep him properly, there is nothing to worry about. Watch out for anything out of ordinary, if looks healthy, eats, poop, it is all good

by the way, have you seen nuptial pads on his thumbs, is he calling? To confirm he is a male
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Can we get a few more details about the timing? When/how long did his habits of eating less happen? How long have you had him for?

It sounds to me like he may still be somewhat overfed - you can drop feeding frequency even further to help stimulate appetite, and if offering roaches, you can skip a whole week and see if he'll take one at that point. Hunger is a good motivator for trying new foods. Sounds like he usually eats consistently and you know what foods he'll really enjoy if he doesn't eat for too long, so cutting it down a bit won't hurt any.

More info would help; but even with out it, seems to me like he's fine, and if anything, just a little spoiled.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Co, Inc - Your one stop herp shops!
    "Like" us on Facebook for coupons, sales, and updates! - http://www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    Sign up for Reptile Times, a totally FREE e-zine dedicated entirely to reptiles and amphibians!
    http://list.lllreptile.com/?p=subscribe&id=1

Nationality
    [Canada]

I disagree, they dont get overfed, in fact they dont eat if not hungry, but that is only a case of feeding proper foods.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Myself would not worry about eating; but would try to stabilize it's enclosure parameters. 87% humidity is a bit high and would shot between 70-80%. Also, try to keep daily temps stable at 82-84F. That can drop at night a few degrees. You are lucky it eats the prepared food, non of my frogs will eat it .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Frogsaurus

Indeed I found his nuptial pads on both his fat little hands during the vet visit. I checked for them earlier but I missed them during my home inspection. He's a boy all right although he hasn't been calling. He's only ever made a gentle squeak once!

The vendor I purchased him from raised his froglets on the pellet foods and encouraged me to use it. He eats the little doughballs off the end of a chopstick since the plastic tongs I used when he was smaller get my hands a bit too close to his big mouth nowadays!

I have owned him since this April.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I would be careful with artificial food, such as zoomed and pacman food and use it as treat only, for variety.
    nighcrawlers are the best staple by far.

Thread Information