Thread: A new member!

Default A new member!

Today as I was entering the reptile expo. Being hit by an excitement. I got over excited and got dizzy. So while I was going through the isle. My vision blurred, but still my will for a quest for a new friend was strong. So I hung in there. Walking about the isle. I saw some people who gave bad info about tortoises. A guy actually said you can put a russian tortoise in a 30gallon tank. I was like "kay not buying from this quack". SO I kept passing on. I saw joshs frog. Asked him if he had any pixies. To my avail none I found. I had found them in a corner. But they didnt look too good. As I kept passing by the snakes(almost all were snakes lol'd), I saw this man with few adorable little box turtles. I just wanted to pick one up. So I did. The guy had allowed me to. So as I was searching through, high and low. I found the perfect box turtle. It was highly active. A brilliantly colored one. Like its front legs, have bright yellow scales, the mouth and underneath was completely yellow. It was orange spotted. With golden eyes, with black center. It clicked. But to my experience with turtles I was trying to see if anywhere else had them cheaper. And I thought to myself "well Iama make a mental note. should that turtle still be there by the time I am back it means its fate." So I went around and saw other turtles, a chinese box turtle. It didnt look in the best condition and extremely over priced(600bucks yikes!). So I went to myself, "this guy gotta be kiddin me. he wont make a sale". I kept going around and around looking through. I saw dart frogs, tomato frogs, pacman frogs as far as the eye can see! Like jewels stacked up on little plastic containers. Sitting there. Wanting to go for a dart frog, I quickly thought to myself "Damn they look like t hey may be extremely hard to care for...". So I kept looking about, saw russian tortoises everywhere. And pretty much redfoots as well. But then I remembered, oh yeah why not go for the box turtle? I mean I have done a months worth of research. Which should be enough. SO I went back finally. The guy talking to someone picking out turtles. Still there the turtle I wanted. I quickly but gently snatched it. Held it on my hand. The little darling was energetic and healthy! SO I payed the man a price of 40bucks. I thought theyd be like a 100 or something. So then I went to zoomeds. Bought a large cork bark hide, calcium with d3 powder and a strong basking light/heat light. Which is called reptisun. A 100 watt bulb. Cost me a fortune for the snap little thing(the bulb). I mean 40-50bucks is kinda ALOT for ONE bulb. The guy gave me a guilt trip and had said "well you could go for some cheaper bulbs but it wouldnt be as healthy". Quickly with my strong will to give the best care for my new friend. I bought it. The man was grinning, my father glaring at me like "r-tard you just wasted a ton of money on a bulb you can find cheaper". Saddly it was right. But at the same time I wanted the best. So i went to the worm section. Saw some pheonix worms and saw like "5bucks for a 100ct". So I go like "thats a pretty damn good deal". Bought it. And to be honest it was. I just gave my turtle a bath, for an hour. Set it up on a rubbermaid thats 16inch wide by 3feet long. Which is okay for now. Though Iam hoping to go bigger soon. ;] So I set it up there. The turtle walking about. It has no soil yet to make sure th turtle is healthy. SO I decided to throw in a few pheonix worms. The little dickens ate it! Like RIGHT there! The same day we got it , it just ate! to my relief. Because all books I read, sorta scared the bejeebers out of me and shied me out of getting one. I know just dropped a the tip of a carrot. It just munched on it. I even took it frm him and put powder on it! AND IT ATE IT! Iam thnking of naming it "Bolt".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: A new member!

Kinda because its just a bold little turtle! Does what it wants wh enever it wants! xD It never once hid in its shell! Iam surprised! Anyways. Now Iam going to be getting some cypress mulch tomorrow. Breeder said its what I should use. Which is good because it looks extremely clean. I think Id just have to spot clean and probably completely clean it once a m onth.
    P.s.! I will be trying to send pics to someone to put the pics up! I really want you guys to see! Its just ADORABLE! I think its a male because of its strong coloration.

Jace

Congrats again! Very excited for you. Next time you'll get and African Giant, though, right? Can't wait to see pics of him!

Kurt

Did you miss the Budgett's?

I thought the Cuora amboinensis looked ok. I saw plenty of CB turtle hatchlings, including the striped muds you wanted. Also. saw some red-cheeks that really tempted me.

Speaking temptations. Mike Novy/Rainforest Junky's had some Amazon milk frogs that I wa finding very hard to resist. I ended of getting two stunning CB male Dendropsophus ebraccatus, hourglass treefrogs from him. I know someone that is selling tadpoles, I may buy a few from him and hope for females. He had a lot of bird-poop frogs too, but not my thing.

I also got a trio of Paramesotriton chinensis, Chinese warty newts. They were fairly cheap and CB. I bought them from Michael Schrom.

On the down side, the blue dart that I got from Black Jungle was dead when I got home.

Jace

Yikes, sorry to hear about your blue dart, Kurt. Still, you came away with quite a few. How do you have room for everything?

Kurt

I am very creative. I stack most of it.

Thread Information