Thread: Skin discoloration

tamaio1

Question Skin discoloration

I recently got a pacman frog about 16 days ago. His skin appears to be turning tan and brown around his face and back in some places from bright green. He is about 1-2 in. He was In about a 1 gallon terrarium at the pet store and is now in a 10. Temps day 77-84 night 76-82 humidity is about 50-80 some times 90. I have touched him a few times trying to dig him up to encourage eating but he is now eating and pooping. He is in a terrarium in my bed room. Is this stress or and infection?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Skin discoloration

Changing from mostly green to mostly brown/tan is normal. An infection will usually be reddish and often swollen as well. You should post a picture of the frog regardless, since pictures are always great

How old/large is the frog? Your temps aren't exactly off, but it may be enough to stress a small one. Generally 80-83 day and 75-80 night is good for little ones (for some reasons babies sometimes react poorly to the higher range of temps that are fine for adults).
    You need to figure out a way to keep the humidity more constant; covering half the terrarium lid with clingwrap usually works. It should never get below 75% and 90% is a bit high. They don't like fluctuations very much, so that may be stressing him.

You should answer the questions in the Trouble in the Enclosure sticky. You already covered some of them, but may as well fill out the complete version
    http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

4. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

tamaio1

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  60.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  77.7 KB
    1 10 gallon terrarium 20X12
    2 1 pacman frog about 1 and 1/4 inches
    3 50-80%
    4 day 78-84 night 86-80
    5 Declorinated tap water in a water bowl and for misting. i also have a damp rag on top to help humidity but it isnt declorinated water if this would affect anything.
    6 coconut fiber
    7 artifical plant and log with 2 water dishes all rinsed with zoomed whipeout 1
    8 crickets
    9. calcium+d3 twice a week and multivitiman once a week
    10 combo mini deep dome with a day and night heating and lighting bulb
    11 ^
    12 1 day ago
    13 about 2-3 days ago
    14 top
    15 skin seems to turn brown tan and a shade ofgreen-blue
    16 dont know 1 1/4 inches so maybe 6 months? not sure
    17 17 days
    18 captive bred
    19 i tried meal worms he didnt like them so i just went back to cricket and want sugestions on treats
    20 i do take him back an forth between my mom and dads (they are divorced) so about every week but i try to dig him up/uncover his eyes ocasionaly to encorage eating with minimal touching
    21 my bed room so low trafic
    22 i change the water everyday and turn the substrate once every week and havent changed it or completely washed the terrarium.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm guessing you expand the cocofiber with dechlorinated water as well?
    The wet rag being regular tap water won't hurt anything though.

Hm... Can't tell what the little yellow gadget on the side is, but it looks like you've got one of those stick on thermometer/hygrometer combos inside the cage. I kind of hate that they even sell those, because they really don't work. Your humidity might be more constant than you think, because those things measure all over the place....

Meal worms aren't good for them (too much chitin in the exoskeleton; makes them hard to digest) so that works out. If you can get him to take nightcrawler pieces those are very healthy. You can give them occasional pinkie mice or f/t silversides as treats. No more than once a month for the pinkies though, as they have a high fat content.

How are you transporting him? Just curious. I used to have to transport mine more often than I'd like, but I'd just remove his cage decorations, buckle his tank into the car, and he'd stay buried the whole time. If I had to put him in a transport container he'd flip out though.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

tamaio1

I have a transport container with some coco fiber he does get a little scared but then calms down and burrows in it. The coco fiber wasn't expanded with Declroinated water although the coco fiber was dry after not being used for a week and rehydrated with decolrinated. He seems fine now

tamaio1

That was a digital thermometer I want a didgital hydrometer do you know where to get one? I have petsmart and petco near me and can order one online. Also besides that does everything else look pretty good in the terrarium?

Thread Information