Thread: Help ASAP plz

Exclamation Help ASAP plz

I was feeding my lil froglet earlier and all of a sudden he "peed"? out some kind of sack and I left him alone for a bit & it absorbed in.
    Needless to say let some very inexperienced people watch/feed him while I was gone for three days. Never trust someone else with your frogs...
    The only thing I'd assume it could be is impaction, but I could be wrong so i'm asking here.
    It'd be a shame to lose a nice frog like this especially since I raised him since dime size...
    Name:  10578599_1515953408620685_1741237698_n.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  56.4 KBName:  10590035_1515953415287351_1731963102_n.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  61.4 KB Ps sorry if I posted in the wrong place

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It looks like a rectal prolapse... there are a lot of links of what to do. Let me see if I can find one.

1.2.2 Agalychnis calidryas - Felix Felicis, Wall-E,Eva, Mike & Sull
    0.0.2 Canis lupus familiaris (Italian greyhounds) - Zaffira & Aurora
    1.0.0 My own personal prince charming (husband edition): Beau

Nationality
    [United States]

Same thing happened to.one of my retfs last year. Here's a link to I did... http://www.frogforum.net/showthread.php?t=21132... Please also answer the questions from "trouble in my enclosure". I'm sure one of the moderators will pop in Soon and give their advice which you can see from my thread which Saved my little one's life. Best if luck to you.

Lisa

1.2.2 Agalychnis calidryas - Felix Felicis, Wall-E,Eva, Mike & Sull
    0.0.2 Canis lupus familiaris (Italian greyhounds) - Zaffira & Aurora
    1.0.0 My own personal prince charming (husband edition): Beau

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Help ASAP plz

Yes, it is rectal prolapse.
    you need to place a frog in honey bath to reduce swelling, it should go in on its own.

warm water, level no higher then frogs chin, add a few drops of honey, mix, put frog in for about 20 min. After that new water bath, this time with pedialyte (10 parts of water, 1 pedialyte) keep frog in a hospital set up for a few days for an observation.

That a beautiful frog! It would be helpful if you answer questions to trouble in the enclosure to figure out what triggered this, to avoid it in a future. Good luck.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh no, such gorgeous frog is sick ! Frog should be in a hospital like enclosure with damp (dechlorinated tap) paper towels until that prolapse goes back in. Take frog to herp vet immediately if prolapse turns darker red, purplish or black. Do what Lija said and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Help ASAP plz

You can soak his behind in sugar water to shrink the prolapse.

Rectal prolapses generally occur for three reasons: too large of food/prey, constipation, and/or parasite infections.

A vet is a good idea. Not only can they test for parasites, but if they can get the prolapse to reduce they can add a dissolving stitch.

Do not feed for a few days and only feed soft foods like worm pieces or Reptaboost once the prolapse reduces. Large, harder foods can make the prolapse worse.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Don't add water yet. Use dry white sugar first to dehydrate the prolapse. Honey water or sugar water baths after its absorbed to help keep swelling down.

Better get that frog dewormed. Parasites are the # 1 cause of prolapsed intestines.

What do you mean not to add water yet but just sugar?...
    & i'm working on finding a vet for her but i've never had to take them so i'm not sure of the costs.
    Can someone give me actual links for a hospital setup if I really do need to do so?
    & what's the difference between dry sugar and a sugar/honey bath?....

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Poliwag View Post
    What do you mean not to add water yet but just sugar?...
    & i'm working on finding a vet for her but i've never had to take them so i'm not sure of the costs.
    Can someone give me actual links for a hospital setup if I really do need to do so?
    & what's the difference between dry sugar and a sugar/honey bath?....
    Dry white sugar = Confectioners Powdered Sugar. You sprinkle the dry sugar powder on the prolapse versus giving frog a bath in 80F dechlorinated tap with few drops of honey in it.

Vets: Arav or Herp Vet Connection.

Hospital type set-up: Sterile enclosure with damp (use dechlorinated tap) unprinted paper towel (4-6 plies) for substrate (changed every other day). Water dish filled to frog's chin level with dechlorinated tap and changed daily. Silk plant(s) to reduce stress (Fluker's ReptaVines or similar).

Worms Heather mentioned are not dyed Night Crawlers (at Walmart or bait shops); do not use any beetle worms (meal worms, superworms, etc.). Here is info on ReptaBoost: Repta Boost Insectivore/Carnivore. Good luck !

Thank you for the vet links!
    But i'm currently unable to get some white sugar atm so i'll just do a bath soak for a while.
    & yeas i've had them on a staple diet of night crawlers since they were babies. Sometimes even that zoomed soft-food bites for pacman if I ever run out.
    I'll see how she reacts to the hospital enclosure for a while..

This is weird. As I was getting the honey bath set up and took him out he didn't even have the thing out anymore
    But I still continued to do the bath for both my frogs (one isnt sick but ya) anyways.Name:  10588951_1516409081908451_1973832096_n.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  86.7 KBName:  10543841_1516409078575118_1223003397_n.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  89.3 KBName:  10595818_1516409075241785_1394333353_n.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  74.8 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Poliwag View Post
    what's the difference between dry sugar and a sugar/honey bath?....
    different ways of doing same stuff, some people like one, others the other the goal is the minimize the swelling, so the intestine will go back in.
    main difference is that honey bath works as natural laxative as well as mildly reduces swelling, that is why i like to use it for small prolapses, that might go back in on their own, like it did in your case.

sugar is heavy cavalry, it works very well for bigger ones, more swollen ones.

Hospital set up needed to minimize infection risk and for observation. Prolapses tend to reoccur if the cause is not fixed.
    you should really look into the reasons why this happened and to avoid it in a future.
    Use only nightcrawlers for now as you were advised.

Your frog is absolutely stunning!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

14. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

That is good news ! Need to follow-up with a fecal exam done by herp vet or lab. If food was not prolapse cause; then parasites are probably the culprit. Get fecals done on all frogs and medicate them as required. If no local vets; you can have the fecals done my mail and then contact Dr. Frye for meds (maybe he can do fecals too). Good luck !

Thread Information