Thread: Frog food for begginers

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Frog food for begginers

This is not a question for my self but my friends ask me all the time what to feed their frogs so i decided to try and get others opinions on the matter also so i ask you to post what your staple diet is and what you give as treats for the frogs. I'll go first

Staple: Reptomin selet-a-food for frogs, newts and turtles

Treats: Worms, Crickets, Guppies, Shrimp, Waxworms

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Frog food for begginers

I feed my frogs nightcrawlers as a staple. Treats are crickets and raw tilapia. I keep reptomin handy for when I cannot acquire earthworms (like in the winter).

CJP32

I first used a small container of Reptomin for frogs I found at the local store. I have since ordered the smaller sinking pellets from here. Xenopus Express Products - Xenopus Suppliers They seem to love them and they were like $10 or $11 for a pound shipped to my door. I plan to order the large floating pellets now that they are getting bigger.

Treats are shrimp pellets and I just got some red worms from wally world. They are much smaller than the night crawlers so they are the perfect size for them now.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by CJP32 View Post
    Treats are shrimp pellets and I just got some red worms from wally world. They are much smaller than the night crawlers so they are the perfect size for them now.
    What kind of red worms? If "Red Wrigglers;" they produce a foul tasting slime that can make frogs refuse all worms after eating them .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    What kind of red worms? If "Red Wrigglers;" they produce a foul tasting slime that can make frogs refuse all worms after eating them .
    I've never tested this but I am willing to bet X. Laevis couldn't care less about the foul tasting mucous of red wrigglers. These frogs will eat anything dead or alive.

CJP32

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    They are labeled Big Red Worms (eisenia hortensis) 30 for about $4. I just googled the technical name and it came back as European earthworms. So far all four of my frogs have eaten them with extreme enthusiasm. The largest frog, Gonzo, will now come to the surface ever time I open the lid and attack anything, including my fingers. I've been giving them 1 worm each every other day and the pellets on the opposite days.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My Budgett gets a staple of Canadian Night Crawlers (Walmart) and 1x week a whole thawed little fish. Kind of like Silversides; but currently using anchovies for human consumption from oriental market (way cheaper) .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

i tried to feed my frogs a staple of worms but the male really wasn't fond of it but he loved the pellets (strange i know) so i went back to pellets the female frog still loves worms to this day so when i can she gets some worms same with my axolotl ( But he has a guppy addiction, he tears deavores those, same with my male frog to)

CJP32

My largest frog, Gonzo the albino, just leapt out of the water a couple times mouth gaping and arms flailing when I opened the lid. I'm guessing she, I think, was expecting a worm. Unfortunately for Gonzo it was pellets tonight. I'm going to try and get a video next time.

Nationality
    [United States]

Please do that would be very cool to see I now how my female acts and it is definitely a site my male eh, not so much takes him like five minutes to actually eat the thing never mind attack it the female though as soon as she see me cleaning the dirt off the worms she gets giddy.

CJP32

Hello!
    glock23cj shared a video with you.

View Video, http://s561.photobucket.com/user/glo...b6ien.mp4.html

Hopefully this video works.

Thread Information