Thread: Hey there!

Andi Eisele

Talking Hey there!

Hi! My name is Andi and I am just now starting to really learn about my awesome little critter. We own a blue (yes, BLUE) African Clawed frog, who we have named, as no surprise, Blue. This is not a choice we made, we got her by accident if you will. We were in a specialty pet store and she was in a tank labeled as "Candy Frogs". We bought her under misinformation thinking she was just a colored albino African Dwarf. We very quickly figured out she wasn't! I did some research and learned that she is indeed a female and I thought I had a correct information on how to feed and house her, but the information I found turned out to be wrong and woefully light on actual info about these wonderful little frogs. I just bought a complete guide to ACF's tonight and what I read astounded me, but also matched up with Blue's personality to a t. So now we are working on providing a much better environment for her and giving her the best life we can. She's still a yearling and is growing fast. We have been feeding her a mix of tubifex worms, freeze dried crickets, and freeze dried brine shrimp since that's what the info I first read said we should do. I have just ordered the pellets that she really needs in the first year of life, but will continue to mix with the varied foods she has been eating since she seems to be thriving on them. I joined this forum to learn more about ACF's and to get advice as I learn and as she grows. Glad to be here!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hey there!

Welcome to Frog Forum
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Andi ! Please read and follow this care article since you have improper care information on hand: http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...are-sheet.html. Do not feed any freeze dried foods to your ACF; it's bad for them. Frog pellets, frozen, or live items are OK.

Your blue frog is actually a dyed albino ACF. These frogs are chemically stripped from their natural protective slime and dyed using organic dyes. The process actually kills some and damages them .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Andi Eisele

Thanks for the info! I will stop the freeze dried foods immediately. They were a fairly new addition (within the last two weeks), but before that she was just on the tubifex worms. I'll go back to that until her pellets get here.

I had assumed she had to be a dyed albino after I figured out what type of frog she was, but I had no idea what an awful process they used to get her that color. As she is getting bigger she seems to be "out growing" the blue color, although she's not returning to the creamy color of the albinos that I have seen pictures of. It's almost like she just doesn't have any color in spots anymore.

She is very active and seems very healthy with a voracious appetite. She comes to the top of the tank when I come near and she's not afraid of my hand at all which is awesome.

Thread Information