Thread: Why is my ADF turning BLUE???

MoMoMonica5

Unhappy Why is my ADF turning BLUE???

Hi all,

My ADF is still worrying me. It looks like it's having respiratory problems, as it's hanging around the surface and floating a lot. It also hasn't been eating much. I have another ADF and 1 molly with 4 molly fry in a 10 gallon tank. Everyone else is doing well. This ADF is also turning blue on its tummy and fore-arm pits (not the regular white/red coloring that determines sex, but blue). I also think it's had seizures (see the videos below). Can anyone tell me what the heck the problem is??? It's been this way for about 3 weeks, at times seeming better, other times seeming worse. Please give me any suggestions to what might be wrong.

Thanks,
    Monica

First video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbyJk1xobnQ

Second video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=difX9cBL_Hc

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Why is my ADF turning BLUE???

This is not good. I watched both videos, the frog appears to be having seizures. I would place this frog in a hospital tank immediately so it has enough water to stay submerged but shallow enough for it to breed.

Unfortunately ADF are quite fragile frogs, I won't sugar coat this. This really does not look good at all.

Can you tell us more about the husbandry of these animals? Fill out Carlos' "Trouble in the Enclosure" form, it is a sticky in this forum.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

These look more like muscle spasms which still isn't good. A lot of frogs will get a bacterial infection and if not eliminated or kept in check the bacteria attack the liver and kidneys. Once this happens damage is caused. While kidneys shut down they can't filter out waste properly and phosphorus builds up in the blood causing calcium to not absorb into muscle and bone. This produces a deficiency that causes the muscles to spasm uncontrolably. Its a scary sight. Either way it doesn't look good.

You should answer the Trouble in the Enclosure questions like Michael asked http://www.frogforum.net/aquatic-cla...enclosure.html. and repost your answers here in this thread.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; August 5th, 2014 at 06:17 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello Monica! I'm very sorry for sick frog . Reviewed your threads and saw you started losing baby molly's in that tank some time back? Did you ever determined the cause? Keeping Mollies and ADF in same tank is not a good idea, since mollies require high levels of salt (brackish water) to do well. Well; also think there is a pathogen involved; have you noted anything on the fish? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information