I am preparing for the possibly imminent cricket plague, (i.e. virus), and I'd like to settle on a nutritious alternative to feed my big eyed tree frogs and leopard geckos, just in case it becomes difficult to obtain live crickets.

My big eyes will eat anything, but my leopard geckos ignored mealworms, so I'm more concerned about their finicky-ness. (I would have put this on a reptile forum, but this place seems to have more people who are more likely to know nutritional info and other good little factoids than the reptile forums I poke around on occasion, so I thought I would try here first.)

Mealworms -- ruled out because leos won't eat them. I might try again when they're really hungry, but they were so disintrested that I'm not holding out much hope.

Superworms -- not size appropriate for leos. (at least, the ones they sell nearby are massive)

Roaches -- they sound like perfect feeders... but I grew up in a first-floor NYC apartment with SERIOUS roach problems. I'll spare you the details, but let's just say that the only living things that I am irrationally afraid of are roaches. I cannot share my home with anything that looks like a roach. I tried to talk myself into it. I looked up each feeder species to see how "roach-ey" it actually looked. I just can't do it.

Hornworms -- not size appropriate for leos. (at least, the ones they sell nearby are massive)

Waxworms -- too fatty.

Ok. Tat's everything my local reptile shop carries, so I'm about to venture back into the world of online feeders. I really just want to try a few things out, see if my geckos like anything, and know that I can order it in bulk if it becomes difficult to pick up crickets at the shop because they're becoming decimated by plague.

Before I start dropping loads of money on things my leopard geckos might not eat, I thought I'd get your own experiences with the following feeders -- pros, cons, etc. I've read up on them online, but commercial websites are a little biased toward making every feeder sound great, practical, convenient, and nutritious, so I'd like your take on:

Butterworms (I feel a little guilty about wild-caught, international insects, and aren't they pretty fatty?); Silkworms (seem expensive); Pheoenix worms; and hornworms (if I can buy the smaller sizes; I've read they grow very quickly and are less likely to survive when small, so I'm not sure if that would work).

Any advice, before I go spend my money to try them out?