Thread: Help: frog with broken leg and protruding bone.

SGlisch

Default Help: frog with broken leg and protruding bone.

Hi everyone, I hope you're doing well.

I apologize that I'm posting without even introducing myself, and doing so so shortly after having joined. I also hope I'm posting in the right place. However, I'm in need of help, and I'm hoping someone here may be able to grant it.

I've a northern leopard frog(R. pipiens); I've kept them before, but this is a bit of a special case. I received him from someone else; a hind leg is broken, and a piece of a bone - unfortunately, I'm not sure which - is protruding from it; the former owner didn't know what to do, so was planning to immediately euthanize him - an option which I'd prefer not to consider unless absolutely necessary. I have him in a safe enclosure at the moment, and have succeeded in feeding him crickets dusted with calcium powder. However, I don't know what to do about the leg. I've dealt with simply broken legs, but the visible bone is a new problem.

Looking online, I discovered that some people on this forum had previously, I believe, amputated the leg in these circumstances? I'm trying to get him to a herp. vet, but would also like to know your thoughts prior to doing so: I've found that a lot of doctors around here just tend to just dismiss patients and call for euthanasia; diagnoses, from my experience, aren't always spectacularly accurate, either.

What would you do? I'll gladly keep him for the remainder of his life, so that's not an issue; while I'm not exactly swimming in funds, I also intend to pay whatever amount is needed to help him out.

Thank you so much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information